Ruby Float out of range warning?

Kathy Lee

I'm new to Ruby and I've been playing around with it abit.

the following line of code produces a out of range warning.
puts 3.14159 #outputting a simple float value

It will output the value in console, however it will warn me with the
following:
C:/Users/Admin/IdeaProjects/RubyExampl… warning: Float 3.14159 out of
range

To my knowledge, the value should be within bounds of a float object.
I'm using Ruby SDK v1.8.6 and IntelliJ with the Ruby plugin as my IDE

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Phillip Gawlowski

It will output the value in console, however it will warn me with the
following:
C:/Users/Admin/IdeaProjects/RubyExampl… warning: Float 3.14159 out of
range

irb(main):001:0> puts 3.14159
3.14159
=> nil
irb(main):002:0> RUBY_VERSION
=> "1.8.6"
To my knowledge, the value should be within bounds of a float object.
I'm using Ruby SDK v1.8.6 and IntelliJ with the Ruby plugin as my IDE

What is "Ruby SDK"?

Phillip Gawlowski

It's the Ruby interpreter, i.e Ruby.exe

Then, apparently, your IDE is throwing the error.

BTW, we refer to Ruby as "Ruby RUBY_VERSION", not as "Ruby SDK". :)

Kathy Lee

Phillip said:
Then, apparently, your IDE is throwing the error.

BTW, we refer to Ruby as "Ruby RUBY_VERSION", not as "Ruby SDK". :)

Oh thanks, appreciate it. Would you please recommend a decent IDE in
that case?

Phillip Gawlowski

Oh thanks, appreciate it. Would you please recommend a decent IDE in
that case?

Well, *that* opens a whole can of worms. ;)

Me, I use NetBeans if I have to have access to IDE features.
Otherwise, I'm happy with vim (if you are on Windows, I can point you to
an article I wrote in getting vim 7.2 to work with Ruby from within
vim), or Notepad++, simple text editors.

All of these choices are Free as in beer, as well as in speech.

Marnen Laibow-Koser

Kathy said:
Oh thanks, appreciate it. Would you please recommend a decent IDE in
that case?

Try working without an IDE. Ruby doesn't benefit from IDEs nearly as
much as Java does. I recommend a good editor such as jEdit or
KomodoEdit instead. NetBeans *mostly* has good Ruby support, if you
really need an IDE.

Best,