  1. t3chn0n3rd

    t3chn0n3rd Guest

    Is anyone using Ruby for game programming?

    t3chn0n3rd, Feb 3, 2008

  2. t3chn0n3rd

    James Gray Guest

    On Feb 3, 2008, at 8:04 AM, t3chn0n3rd wrote:

    > Is anyone using Ruby for game programming?

    I have used Ruby for game programming multiple times.

    To clarify though, I build turn-based strategy games that don't have
    very complex needs. I don't do any realtime rendering or 3D graphics.

    For my needs, Ruby is excellent. I can speak for the other cases
    though.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Gray, Feb 3, 2008

  3. t3chn0n3rd wrote:
    > Is anyone using Ruby for game programming?

    For 2D game development:
    http://code.google.com/p/gosu/

    Best regards,

    Jari Williamsson

    Jari Williamsson, Feb 3, 2008
  4. t3chn0n3rd

    Matthew Moss Guest

    > To clarify though, I build turn-based strategy games that don't have =A0
    > very complex needs. =A0I don't do any realtime rendering or 3D graphics.

    What games, James? I like TBS. =3D)

    Matthew Moss, Feb 3, 2008
  5. Absolutely, if you're interested in 2d game programming, check out
    libraries like Gosu
    http://code.google.com/p/gosu/
    If you want to do 3d programming, take a look at Shattered Ruby, I
    think there are also Ogre3D bindings for ruby as well.

    Current implementations of Ruby aren't exactly the fastest, but
    they're great for getting started.

    Adam Sanderson, Feb 3, 2008
  6. t3chn0n3rd

    Guest

    , Feb 3, 2008
  7. t3chn0n3rd

    James Britt Guest

    http://www.railgunengine.com/

    --
    James Britt

    "Hackers will be expelled"
    - The Breakfast Club (1985)

    James Britt, Feb 4, 2008
  8. t3chn0n3rd

    James Gray Guest

    On Feb 3, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Matthew Moss wrote:

    >> To clarify though, I build turn-based strategy games that don't have
    >> very complex needs. I don't do any realtime rendering or 3D
    >> graphics.

    > What games, James? I like TBS. =)

    I've made a couple of little projects in the past that some friends of
    mine have played around with. Nothing big or public so far.

    However, I do have a turn-based strategy game in development now that
    is intended for public release. I need probably a few more months
    before it will be fully ready to show, but it's moving along.

    My game is one of the primary reasons I decided it was time to let
    Ruby Quiz move on. I want to give myself the time to finish it up
    right.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Gray, Feb 4, 2008
  9. On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 02:26:57AM +0900, Matthew Moss wrote:
    > > To clarify though, I build turn-based strategy games that don't have
    > > very complex needs.  I don't do any realtime rendering or 3D graphics.

    > What games, James? I like TBS. =)

    me too! is there a ruby tbs interest group?

    Philipp Hofmann, Feb 4, 2008
  10. t3chn0n3rd wrote:
    > Is anyone using Ruby for game programming?

    I made this game in Ruby:
    http://www.socoder.net/index.php?showcase=5792

    I've tried to make others too, and I do love programming in Ruby, but
    it's just too slow. I've made some things which will run perfectly fine
    in say C#, but terribly slow in Ruby. Personally I wouldn't recommend
    using Ruby.

    I used OpenGL to the graphics for my game above, but when I've used it I
    have really liked Rubygame:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/rubygame/

    Joseph Lenton, Feb 4, 2008
  11. On Feb 4, 2008 4:46 AM, James Gray <> wrote:

    > On Feb 3, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Matthew Moss wrote:
    >
    > >> To clarify though, I build turn-based strategy games that don't have
    > >> very complex needs. I don't do any realtime rendering or 3D
    > >> graphics.

    > > What games, James? I like TBS. =)

    > I've made a couple of little projects in the past that some friends of
    > mine have played around with. Nothing big or public so far.
    >
    > However, I do have a turn-based strategy game in development now that
    > is intended for public release.

    One of my plans has always been to build online turn based strategy games,
    but I never have the time to do so properly. I mean not developing the games
    per se, but just taking board games and making an online site to play them.
    Right now I have nearly finished an Alhambra
    (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6249)
    implementation, but just the engine with a CLI. My plan was to develop some
    simple games like that one or Citadels (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/478)
    and based on that experience, then build a framework to develop online games
    easily.

    I was also developing a Diplomacy Adjudicator, but that was in Java before
    I started learning Ruby, and never finished it either :-(

    > I need probably a few more months
    > before it will be fully ready to show, but it's moving along.

    I don't have too much time now (two little kids take away any hope of sitting
    at the computer for more than 5 minutes), but if you need a hand for some
    simple tasks I might be able to help...

    Jesus.

    Jesús Gabriel y Galán, Feb 4, 2008
  12. t3chn0n3rd

    F. Senault Guest

    Le 4 février 2008 à 09:45, Jesús Gabriel y Galán a écrit :

    > On Feb 4, 2008 4:46 AM, James Gray <> wrote:

    >> I've made a couple of little projects in the past that some friends of
    >> mine have played around with. Nothing big or public so far.
    >>
    >> However, I do have a turn-based strategy game in development now that
    >> is intended for public release.

    > One of my plans has always been to build online turn based strategy games,

    Same here. I find that using Ruby on Rails for the "interface" and pure
    ruby for the backend can be a powerful cocktail : since I have strictly
    no artistical talent whatsoever, every time I tried to write a game in
    any language (and I've been trying for, mh, 20 years, now), the
    interface part just discouraged me. OTOH, with HTML (and a bit of
    Ajax), I can manage to get something that looks rather nice.

    Now, I just need to find the time and motivation to finish it... :)

    Fred
    --
    I didn't think much about it,
    'Til it started happening all the time.

    F. Senault, Feb 4, 2008
  13. On Feb 4, 2008 12:04 PM, F. Senault <> wrote:
    > Le 4 f=E9vrier 2008 =E0 09:45, Jes=FAs Gabriel y Gal=E1n a =E9crit :

    > > One of my plans has always been to build online turn based strategy gam=

    es,

    > Same here. I find that using Ruby on Rails for the "interface" and pure
    > ruby for the backend can be a powerful cocktail : since I have strictly
    > no artistical talent whatsoever, every time I tried to write a game in
    > any language (and I've been trying for, mh, 20 years, now), the
    > interface part just discouraged me.

    I came to Ruby when somebody showed me Rails, but I immediately
    dropped Rails and focused on the language. My approach then was:
    let's build some CLI games like Alhambra, no graphics at all, just the
    engine of the game, basically to learn Ruby and to model some games.
    Then I would follow that with decoupling the interface from the engine,
    then building a web interface with Rails or whatever, then step back
    and build framework for the whole stuff so that building the next
    game is a simple thing.

    Still stuck on step 1 of the process. If you are familiar with Alhambra,
    I'm missing just the check of not being able to build a tile if you leave
    a set of surrounded empty tiles. Then of course, since I have learnt
    some more Ruby in the meantime, I would like to rewrite the whole thing fro=
    scratch !!! this always happens to me :)

    > OTOH, with HTML (and a bit of
    > Ajax), I can manage to get something that looks rather nice.
    >
    > Now, I just need to find the time and motivation to finish it... :)

    Motivation high here, time low :-(

    Jesus.

    Jesús Gabriel y Galán, Feb 4, 2008
  14. Huw Collingbourne, Feb 4, 2008
  15. t3chn0n3rd

    James Gray Guest

    On Feb 4, 2008, at 7:35 AM, Huw Collingbourne wrote:

    > Not all games are 'graphical' of course ;-)
    >
    > Personally, I've always been much keener on the traditional type of
    > text
    > adventure (Zork at al) and for those Ruby is just about perfect.
    >
    > See:
    > http://www.bitwisemag.com/2/Adventures-In-Ruby
    > http://www.bitwisemag.com/2/Adventures-In-Ruby-Part-2
    > http://www.bitwisemag.com/2/Adventures-In-Ruby-Part-3

    Absolutely. I've considered porting PAWS from the Python world. That
    would be a fun project I think.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Gray, Feb 4, 2008
  16. t3chn0n3rd

    James Gray Guest

    On Feb 4, 2008, at 2:45 AM, Jes=FAs Gabriel y Gal=E1n wrote:

    > On Feb 4, 2008 4:46 AM, James Gray <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I need probably a few more months
    >> before it will be fully ready to show, but it's moving along.

    > I don't have too much time now (two little kids take away any hope =20
    > of sitting
    > at the computer for more than 5 minutes), but if you need a hand for =20=

    > some
    > simple tasks I might be able to help...

    Thanks for the offer of help.

    For now, I'm trying to get all of my ideas in there. When that's =20
    ready though, I may be ready to take on help.

    James Edward Gray II=

    James Gray, Feb 4, 2008
  17. Andrea O. K. Wright, Feb 4, 2008