Ruby for web without rails

Diego Bernardes

I dont really like frameworks, i tryed to work with rails and i didnt
like, i tryed ramaze too, its nicer then rails to me but still isnt what
im looking for, have any way to make web apps in ruby like we do in php?
ppl say alot that mod_ruby is very bad, have a alternative?
or maybe use rack and thin/mongrel?

anyone got any tip?

Avdi Grimm

I dont really like frameworks, i tryed to work with rails and i didnt
like, i tryed ramaze too, its nicer then rails to me but still isnt what
im looking for, have any way to make web apps in ruby like we do in php?
ppl say alot that mod_ruby is very bad, have a alternative?
or maybe use rack and thin/mongrel?

anyone got any tip?

Rack makes it possible to write scripts in a CGI style without caring
what server is actually serving them.

Sinatra is pretty nice as a framework-for-people-allergic-to-big-frameworks.

--
Avdi

Home: http://avdi.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/avdi
Journal: http://avdi.livejournal.com

Jeremy McAnally

Vintage is pretty similar to PHP. (I wrote it)

--Jeremy

I dont really like frameworks, i tryed to work with rails and i didnt
like, i tryed ramaze too, its nicer then rails to me but still isnt what
im looking for, have any way to make web apps in ruby like we do in php?
ppl say alot that mod_ruby is very bad, have a alternative?
or maybe use rack and thin/mongrel?

anyone got any tip?

--
http://jeremymcanally.com/
http://entp.com

Read my books:
Ruby in Practice (http://manning.com/mcanally/)
My free Ruby e-book (http://humblelittlerubybook.com/)

Or, my blogs:
http://mrneighborly.com
http://rubyinpractice.com

Phillip Gawlowski

ara.t.howard

I dont really like frameworks, i tryed to work with rails and i didnt
like, i tryed ramaze too, its nicer then rails to me but still isnt
what
im looking for, have any way to make web apps in ruby like we do in
php?
ppl say alot that mod_ruby is very bad, have a alternative?
or maybe use rack and thin/mongrel?

anyone got any tip?

just use rails/ramaze/merb and put everything in the view. merb and
ramaze both have very small footprints so this is a really possibility.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

Eleanor McHugh

I dont really like frameworks, i tryed to work with rails and i didnt
like, i tryed ramaze too, its nicer then rails to me but still isnt
what
im looking for, have any way to make web apps in ruby like we do in
php?
ppl say alot that mod_ruby is very bad, have a alternative?
or maybe use rack and thin/mongrel?

anyone got any tip?

It's far from efficient, but there's a Camping presentation in my
signature link that also shows how to roll stuff up using just
WEBrick: it was partly based on a web app stack I wrote for a work
project a couple of years ago. This is the sort of thing Ruby excels
at :)

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net

Diego Bernardes

I forgot camping, gonna give it a try, ive look the freatures, seams
nice for a 4kb framework >.<
Vintage is nice too, very small, very fast :)

Maybe in a future i build a framework on top of this microframeworks
that i like >.<

Well, thx everyone!

Vidar Hokstad

I dont really like frameworks, i tryed to work with rails and i didnt
like, i tryed ramaze too, its nicer then rails to me but still isnt what
im looking for, have any way to make web apps in ruby like we do in php?
ppl say alot that mod_ruby is very bad, have a alternative?
or maybe use rack and thin/mongrel?

Rack is a great place to start. My blog (http://www.hokstad.com/blog)
is "framework-less", built on separately picked components + Rack to
glue it together. What really makes it nice (and much cleaner than
normal CGI) is that it's well suited to writing "filters" (often
referred to as Rack middleware) that pre- or post-process the data
coming in or being returned, so you can write very loosely coupled
components independent on frameworks - I've posted on my blog about a
couple of the components I've written.

As an added bonus, if you later want to use a framework, there are
adapters so you can use Rack as the interface between arbitrary web
servers and whichever framework you pick.

Vidar

Albert Schlef

Diego said:
I dont really like frameworks
[...]
any way to make web apps in ruby like we do in php?

Just for the record: there isn't really a serious project that uses
"bare php".

Drupal, Wikipedia, WhatEver, they all had to invent the wheel and built
some framework.

Diego Bernardes

Albert said:
Diego said:
I dont really like frameworks
[...]
any way to make web apps in ruby like we do in php?

Just for the record: there isn't really a serious project that uses
"bare php".

Drupal, Wikipedia, WhatEver, they all had to invent the wheel and built
some framework.

yea, i dont know, maybe im traumatized with some big frameworks, i fell
like using rpg maker to make a game >.<

J. Cooper

Diego said:
yea, i dont know, maybe im traumatized with some big frameworks, i fell
like using rpg maker to make a game >.<

No, that's like using a CMS to make your site. Using a framework is like
using... a game framework (Gosu, XNA, whatever) to make your game. Which
again, is something just about everyone does if you don't want to pull
your hair out :)