Ruby Installation Help

Brian Nicar

In a nutshell, I compiled ruby-1.9.2 and installed it in my /home
directory in order to isolate it from the rest of my system. Then, I
aliased the ruby binary and scripts (~/ruby/bin) in my .bashrc to
reflect the new installation (there is already a system-wide ruby-1.87
installed). However, when I try to run gem or irb I receive the
following gripe:

<internal:lib/rubygems/custom_require>:29:in `require': no such file to
load -- auto_gem (LoadError) from
<internal:lib/rubygems/custom_require>:29:in `require'

I'm just not sure what it means. The ruby-1.92 interpreter runs fine, by
the way.

The reason I've set things up the way I have is because Gentoo Linux
does not play nice with ruby-1.9 yet. Any help is appreciated.

Brian

Brian Nicar

Naturally, after I sent out my SOS, the answer occurred to me. As it
happens, Gentoo sets a system-wide environment variable, RUBYOPTS, that
is not compatible or creates some sort of conflict. Sorry to
inconvenience anyone.

Cheers!

Brian