ruby interpreter as mach kernel server (beside bsd)

Robert Klemme

I think this maps quite good to the actor model in Io
(www.iolanguage.com).
In Io you call a method like:

obj methodname(args)

and if you call it like:
obj @methodname(args)

it returns you a Future object.
You then test the future object and in case you retriev the value:
future_object isReady
future_object value print

Otherwise you can avoid to handle the future object like this:
obj @@methodname(args) #returns nil

It is an interesting model, and imho seem very OO, simple and
powerful.

To me this approach looks a bit complicate. Normally if you would work
completely event base you would just get an event back with the result.
Otherwise you could use synchronous calls anyway.
Now if I just was good enough to implement Object#async_send() ... ;)

Lemmesee...

.... there is a draft attached.

Regards

robert