Ruby - mysql - Error Authentication protocol not supported

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by jsp408@comcast.net, Jul 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    On Windows XP Prof system, using Ruby 1.8.4 & mysql-ruby-2.7.1 (pure
    ruby interface),
    myswl 5.0 server, and rubyuser is defined as a mysql user, I am trying
    to run the following sample program and getting the error:

    *** C:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/mysql.rb:453:in `read': Client does not
    support authentication protocol requested by server; consider
    upgrading MySQL client (Mysql::Error)
    from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/mysql.rb:130:in `real_connect'
    from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/mysql.rb:91:in `initialize'
    from C:/0-dwn/mysql/ruby-mysql-0.2.6/sampledb0.rb:5

    I am able to perform all of the commands via a commandline console.

    Please help me with this error message, what do I need to change to get
    it working

    Thanks,
    John

    ========Sampledb.rb =========================================

    require "mysql"

    dbname = "sampledb"

    m = Mysql.new("localhost", "root", "passwd")
    r = m.query("CREATE DATABASE #{dbname}")
    m.select_db(dbname)
    m.query("CREATE TABLE words
    (
    german varchar(30),
    english varchar(30),
    french varchar(30)
    )"
    )

    m.query("INSERT INTO words VALUES('Adler', 'eagle', 'aigle')")
    m.query("INSERT INTO words VALUES('Haus', 'house', 'maison')")
    m.query("INSERT INTO words VALUES('Name', 'name', 'nom')")
    m.query("INSERT INTO words VALUES('Wal', 'whale', 'baleine')")
    m.query("GRANT ALL ON sampledb.* TO rubyuser@localhost IDENTIFIED by
    'ruby'")

    m.close

    , Jul 9, 2006

  2. Andrew RJ Guest

    Re: Ruby - mysql - Error Authentication protocol not support

    Justin Collins wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> from C:/0-dwn/mysql/ruby-mysql-0.2.6/sampledb0.rb:5
    >> [snip]
    >>

    > I think I heard that the ruby mysql library doesn't work with mysql 5?
    > I'm not sure, though.

    MySQL/Ruby works fine with MySQL 5.0.* (for me, 5.0.19):
    http://www.tmtm.org/en/mysql/ruby/
    - This is great if you can do makes.
    - Been using this for years, with various MySQLs.
    - Tomita Masahiro keeps it up to date still, last was just over 1
    month ago.

    His Ruby/MySQL doesn't seem to (and is the rumour source I suspect):
    http://www.tmtm.org/en/ruby/mysql/
    - however, maybe you can, if you use the old authentication protocol
    (see 1st paragraph here:
    http://www.tmtm.org/ja/ruby/mysql/README.html)
    - Latest version is out-of-date, and is around 1.5 years old.
    - Also, it is decently slower (unsurprising, shush).

    The rails-emergent ActiveRecord can use either of these, but as it says,
    the pure ruby one won't work with MySQL 4.1.*+ ... but the natively
    linked one will.
    http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/MySQL

    Maybe useful, maybe not.
    ARJ