Ruby on AIX?

Obie Fernandez

We're looking at big IBM hardware running AIX as a potential
deployment platform for the big credit card processing Rails and Ruby
stuff that my team is currently building. I was wondering if anyone
else is running on AIX or knows if Ruby is well-supported on this
platform.

I googled the subject, but
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/3daaf60b=
012c1921
is the only thing I found -- it's not 100% confidence inspiring.

It seems like more people out there are running Ruby on Solaris, but
the client is indicating that they'd rather host our stuff on the IBM
servers rather than Fujitsu.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Obie

Victor Reyes

------=_Part_14483_8745527.1139586542824

Obie,
I have a mixed of Ruby 1.6.7 and Ruby 1.8.2 running in over 75 RS/6000 unde=
AIX 4.3.3, AIX 5.2.0 and AIX 5.3.0. I had some issues with the installation=
,
but with the help of this great Ruby gang I was able to quickly address my
issues.
Although I do some networking (TCP and UDP protocol) with Ruby, I am not an
experienced Ruby programmer. But the point is that Ruby works just fine and
I try to use it always in place of the Korn Shell, which is the default
shell in AIX.

Victor

We're looking at big IBM hardware running AIX as a potential
deployment platform for the big credit card processing Rails and Ruby
stuff that my team is currently building. I was wondering if anyone
else is running on AIX or knows if Ruby is well-supported on this
platform.

I googled the subject, but

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/3daaf6= 0b012c1921
is the only thing I found -- it's not 100% confidence inspiring.

It seems like more people out there are running Ruby on Solaris, but
the client is indicating that they'd rather host our stuff on the IBM
servers rather than Fujitsu.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Obie

------=_Part_14483_8745527.1139586542824--

Edward Faulkner

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs

The other day, I stumbed across the need to reindent some ruby code.=20

Any worthwhile editor should have a Ruby mode that handles indenting
for you.

(In emacs, use M-x indent-region)

regards,
Ed

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs--

David Vallner

D=C5=88a Piatok 10 Febru=C3=A1r 2006 19:15 Edward Faulkner nap=C3=ADsal:
(In emacs, use M-x indent-region)

I also think you can run emacs in batch mode and have it reindent a whole f=
ile=20
somehow.

What I couldn't figure out within the time I get sick of going through info=
=20
manuals is how to remap RUBY-REINDENT-NEWLINE-AND-INDENT (or however the=20
function is called) to RET in init.el or custom.el in a load hook for=20
ruby-mode.el short of hacking ruby-mode.el itself. Any budding (X)Emacs gur=
us=20
able to help?

David Vallner

Diego Cano Lagneaux

Any worthwhile editor should have a Ruby mode that handles indenting
for you.

(In emacs, use M-x indent-region)

regards,
Ed

I am aware that it should (I use Vim, by the way), but it doesn't. I have=
=20
all imaginable variables in my .vimrc (indent on, smartindent, etc.), but=
=20
all I have is syntax colours, no autoindentation.

It's not a big problem for the code I write now, since I am quite careful=
=20
with correct indentation and all; but for old messy code, it could help m=
e =20
a lot to have a auto-reindenter, and even better, a code beautifier =20
limiting code to 80 columns, uniformising spaces after commas and all thi=
s.

Thanks,
Diego

Cameron McBride

I am aware that it should (I use Vim, by the way), but it doesn't. I have
all imaginable variables in my .vimrc (indent on, smartindent, etc.), but
all I have is syntax colours, no autoindentation.

I use vim, and the following works just fine for me:
:1
shift-v
shift-g
=3D=3D

I always forget vim config stuff, but I think these are the relevant
config variables in my vimrc:
set formatoptions=3Dtcqronwl " see :help fo-table
set cindent
set autoindent
set nosmartindent

Cameron

Reid Thompson

Diego said:
I am aware that it should (I use Vim, by the way), but it doesn't. I=20
have all imaginable variables in my .vimrc (indent on, smartindent,=20
etc.), but all I have is syntax colours, no autoindentation.

It's not a big problem for the code I write now, since I am quite=20
careful with correct indentation and all; but for old messy code, it=20
could help me a lot to have a auto-reindenter, and even better, a code=20
beautifier limiting code to 80 columns, uniformising spaces after=20
commas and all this.

Thanks,
Diego
http://rubyforge.org/projects/vim-ruby/

David Vallner

D=C5=88a Piatok 10 Febru=C3=A1r 2006 19:27 Diego Cano Lagneaux nap=C3=ADsal:
En Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:15:10 +0100, Edward Faulkner <[email protected]>

escribi=C3=B3:

I am aware that it should (I use Vim, by the way), but it doesn't. I have
all imaginable variables in my .vimrc (indent on, smartindent, etc.), but
all I have is syntax colours, no autoindentation.
Weird, last time I used Vim, it worked fine in this respect. But that was G=
Vim=20
back in Windows times, and both the Windows Vim and XEmacs seem to come wit=
h=20
slightly more sensible defaults in some respects.
It's not a big problem for the code I write now, since I am quite careful
with correct indentation and all; but for old messy code, it could help me
a lot to have a auto-reindenter, and even better, a code beautifier
limiting code to 80 columns, uniformising spaces after commas and all thi= s.

Bite into the bitter pill and have an emacs in batch mode chomp over your o=
ld=20
code? Although it might not quite work, the emacs ruby-mode doesn't quite=20
support auto-fill-mode (the code to limit code to a set page width) properl=
y,=20
or handle multi-line comments and such.

And a pure ruby source code beautifier for Ruby does sound interesting, but=
=20
there are some pitfalls - especially in the page width limitation when=20
determining where to put a line break.

Wasn't there a project to make a self-hosting Ruby? You might want to have =
a=20
look at how far they got and possibly rip... err... -borrow- their Ruby=20
parser, and then just write a pretty printer for their code model to save=20
yourself a lot of work?

David Vallner

George Ogata

David Vallner said:
Dňa Piatok 10 Február 2006 19:15 Edward Faulkner napísal:

I also think you can run emacs in batch mode and have it reindent a whole file
somehow.

What I couldn't figure out within the time I get sick of going through info
manuals is how to remap RUBY-REINDENT-NEWLINE-AND-INDENT (or however the
function is called) to RET in init.el or custom.el in a load hook for
ruby-mode.el short of hacking ruby-mode.el itself. Any budding (X)Emacs gurus
able to help?

David Vallner

(add-hook 'ruby-mode-hook
(lambda ()
(define-key ruby-mode-map [return]
'ruby-reindent-then-newline-and-indent)))

Obie Fernandez

Thanks everyone for the info. Once my team starts benchmarking (in a
few weeks) I'll try to contribute back whatever info I can.

Cheers,
Obie