ruby on rails again

zee_man78

hello you all,

it's me again! yeah :)

unfortunately on the machine where ruby's running i don't have internet
access :(

i have [ruby 1.8.2 (2005-04-11)] [i386-linux]

my ruby is finally running under apache and everything's doing well,
but i'd like to put this rails thing too.

i downloaded rubygems-0.8.10.tgz and rubygems-update-0.8.10.gem and
installed them. no error messages everything's OK.

after i downloaded rails-0.12.1.gem, gem install rails-0.12.1.gem no
error messages everything looks OK.

and then i try to create a rail thing: rails /www/rubi/rails/test

errors:
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:194: in `report_active_error`:
Could not find RubyGem rake (>=0.5.3) (Gem::LoadError)
from /usr/local/libe/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:136:in `activate`

my question is that: does anybody has a full package to install, or do
i have to deal with all the "could-not-find" errors until i find them
all?

thank you
zM

zdennis

Hi zM,

On the machine that you have where you can download gems you want to
make sure you include dependencies...

gem install rails --include-dependencies

This will download alot of other gems like:
- rake
- actionmailer
- actionpack
- actionwebservice
- activerecord
- activesupport
- rails

This will most likely put everything in:

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/

Copy all of the files in there over to your non-internet based computer
and you should be ok.

Zach

zee_man78

hello zdennis,

this is the situation:
i have a win xp computer wich is connected to the internet through
modem. i don't have any kind of developing tool on it.

and i have a laptop with debian 3.1. the problem is that i use walmart
connect and they don't support linux so i cannot go online with my
laptop :(

do you think i can install ruby on my windows (and the gems) and after
put everything to my linux?

thank U

zM

Christophe Grandsire

Selon (e-mail address removed):
this is the situation:
i have a win xp computer wich is connected to the internet through
modem. i don't have any kind of developing tool on it.

and i have a laptop with debian 3.1. the problem is that i use walmart
connect and they don't support linux so i cannot go online with my
laptop :(

Take a look at penggy: http://freshmeat.net/projects/penggy/
According to what I've read, it allows you to connect to AOL and Compuser=
ve
using Linux, and Walmart Connect is said to be just a rebranded Compuserv=
e.
There is a Debian package for it so you may be able to grab it from
http://packages.debian.org and put it on a CD (or maybe it's already on y=
our
Debian CDs or DVDs if you have them all, but in that case you would have =
Ruby
on them too, although it would only be 1.8.2).
do you think i can install ruby on my windows (and the gems) and after
put everything to my linux?

That's quite simple: no. While the pure Ruby parts will probably work unc=
hanged
from Windows to Linux, the binaries (among which Ruby itself!) won't. Bin=
aries
are OS specific and thus can't simply be copied from one OS to another. M=
aybe
they would work with WINE, but since Ruby exists natively for Linux, that=
's
kind of a waste.

If you want to install Ruby to Debian you need to use the debs. You can a=
lways
grab them from http://packages.debian.org, but you'll have to take care o=
f all
the dependencies yourself (you can't use apt or synaptic with separate de=
bs).
Or check whether it isn't already on your Debian CDs. But I would really =
try
the penggy solution if I were you. Debian is a great OS, but it really sh=
ows
its greatness only once it's connected to Internet (don't you have a frie=
nd
with a more "normal" kind of Internet connection? Since your Debian compu=
ter is
a laptop, you could ask to use his connection, at least for the installat=
ion of
penggy. If his connection allows DHCP you can easily connect Debian).
--
Christophe Grandsire.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr

It takes a straight mind to create a twisted conlang.

zee_man78

hello zdennis again,

i downloaded everything 1 by 1... it says:
Congratulations, you've put Ruby on Rails

:)))

i cannot put in words how happy i am now :))

zM