[Ruby-Talk] can we add a tag like this to all the mail at the ruby talkmail server(s)?

Peter Barry

--=_alternative 0031F12D652570A4_=

Guys & Gals ,

Im using Lotus notes as my inbox and even with rules like : IF To contains
ruby-talk Move to folder RUBY

I still get all the emails from the ruby-talk list in my inbox.

Im not asking for a Lotus administrator here but whoever administors the
Ruby list cant you tag all the email at the server so that all the Subject
lines have [Ruby-Talk] inserted or something like this

Thats how many other email lists work , and it would help me ! Dont know
about others?

Cheers

Peter Barry
skype: hairymail
YIM: hairy_mail

Remember from your perspective, you are always on top of the world.
--=_alternative 0031F12D652570A4_=--

Curt Sampson

Im using Lotus notes as my inbox and even with rules like : IF To contains
ruby-talk Move to folder RUBY

I still get all the emails from the ruby-talk list in my inbox.

Try, ": IF X-ML-Name contains ruby-talk Move to folder RUBY".

cjs

Peter Barry

--=_alternative 0032D4A9652570A4_=

Nice idea but my Lotus doesnt support X-ML-Name under rules, thanks
anyway.
Peter Barry
skype: hairymail
YIM: hairy_mail

Remember from your perspective, you are always on top of the world.

Curt Sampson <[email protected]>
24/10/2005 14:38
Please respond to
(e-mail address removed)

(e-mail address removed) (ruby-talk ML), (e-mail address removed)
cc
ruby-talk ML <[email protected]>
Subject
Re: [Ruby-Talk] can we add a tag like this to all the mail at the ruby
talk mail server(s)?

--
Curt Sampson <[email protected]> +81 90 7737 2974
Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA

--=_alternative 0032D4A9652570A4_=--

Christophe Grandsire

Selon Peter Barry said:
Guys & Gals ,

Im using Lotus notes as my inbox and even with rules like : IF To conta= ins
ruby-talk Move to folder RUBY

I still get all the emails from the ruby-talk list in my inbox.

Strange, I have exactly the same rule (but on the server side. I have IMA=
P mail
and let the filtering happen at the server rather than the client, but I =
used
to do exactly the same on the client side with Eudora and Thunderbird and=
it
also worked), and I have not received *any* ruby-talk e-mail in my inbox.=
It
looks like a bug in Lotus Notes. Actually I have two mailing lists where =
I do
that and for both it works perfectly.
Im not asking for a Lotus administrator here but whoever administors th= e
Ruby list cant you tag all the email at the server so that all the Subj= ect
lines have [Ruby-Talk] inserted or something like this

Thats how many other email lists work , and it would help me ! Dont kno= w
about others?

Although the idea might help (at the cost of title clutter, but that can'=
t be
helped sometimes), I think you should file a bug report. It is just not n=
ormal
that Notes fails that way with such a simple rule...
--
Christophe Grandsire.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr

It takes a straight mind to create a twisted conlang.

Peter Barry

--=_alternative 0035459B652570A4_=

You never know...... it could be me making a mistake with my
understanding of the syntax or semantics of the rules in Lotus,

but I have an easy fix anyway

Im going to use gmail rule and change my ruby-talk registered email . its
easier that way for me anyway. I will try and find out about the Lotus
issue though, just in-case it is a bug like you say

Peter Barry
skype: hairymail
YIM: hairy_mail

Remember from your perspective, you are always on top of the world.

Christophe Grandsire <[email protected]>
24/10/2005 15:07

Selon Peter Barry said:
[...]

Shot - Piotr Szotkowski

--4ndw/alBWmZEhfcZ

Hello.

Peter Barry:
Im not asking for a Lotus administrator here but whoever administors
the Ruby list cant you tag all the email at the server so that all the
Subject lines have [Ruby-Talk] inserted or something like this

Please don't do this. Subject tags are just a waste of space, and
filtering on them is not the smartest approach anyway (what if replied
to you off-list, but maitained the subject line? what if I wrote to you
an off-list email about the [Ruby-Talk] tag? what if a thread migrated
to other mailing list while maintaining the subject line?).

The 'List-Id: ruby-talk.ruby-lang.org' header is there on purpose.

Cheers,
-- Shot
--=20
The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the
gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not. -- Eric Hoffer
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D http://s=
hot.pl/hovercraft/ =3D=3D=3D http://shot.pl/1/125/ =3D=3D=3D

--4ndw/alBWmZEhfcZ

--4ndw/alBWmZEhfcZ--

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

While we're at it, my procmail recipe:

# Ruby Talk mailing list
:0:
* ^[email protected]
.Lists.RubyTalk/

--Steve

Yeah I have my mailer move it if the To: field matches: ruby-
(e-mail address removed) ANd it works great

Cheers
-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
WebMaster
Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper
(e-mail address removed)
509-577-7732

Damphyr

Peter said:
Guys & Gals ,

Im using Lotus notes as my inbox and even with rules like : IF To contains
ruby-talk Move to folder RUBY

I still get all the emails from the ruby-talk list in my inbox.

Im not asking for a Lotus administrator here but whoever administors the
Ruby list cant you tag all the email at the server so that all the Subject
lines have [Ruby-Talk] inserted or something like this

Thats how many other email lists work , and it would help me ! Dont know
about others?
Well, what I usually do, apart from adding a TO: contains ruby-talk, I
always have an additional rule that checks the Reply-To Header. This
usually is more reliable.
Cheers,
V.-

--
http://www.braveworld.net/riva

Yohanes Santoso

What is needed here is a change on how we should look at our email
addresses.

Do you give your home phone number to a client? Do you give your
business phone number to your parents? If not, then why should you
give your personal email address to a client and your business email
address to your parents?

Let's expand this further. Why should you be subscribing to a mailing
list with your personal email address? Why should you be the one doing
the routing of incoming emails? And, worse, asking the originator of
the email to, say, prefix the subject.

Email addresses are much cheaper than phone number. For each
occassion, you can afford to give out new email address. For example,
I use a different email address for ruby-talk mailing list than the
email address I hand out to friends, and to co-workers, and to my
parents.

This way, I'm not doing the routing of incoming emails; they do by
sending emails to the email address I gave them, their emails will
land on the mailboxes I want without me doing no further configuration
changes.

I feel sad that email addresses in this age of cyberspace are still
treated as if it is as expensive as a phone number. They are cheap,
dirt cheap.

Imagine this: (e-mail address removed), (e-mail address removed),
(e-mail address removed), (e-mail address removed).

If your organisation is still in the backwater, giving you only one
email address, instead of a sub-domain, that's OK. That's just for
work, right?

OTOH, for your personal life, you can get a subdomain for free from
various dyndns providers, and start churning out email addresses.

I am doing this. And I notice one other member in the this mailing
list is also doing this. Come on, we are geeks here. Revolution starts
from us outwards.

YS.

James Britt

Yohanes said:
What is needed here is a change on how we should look at our email
addresses.

Do you give your home phone number to a client? Do you give your
business phone number to your parents? If not, then why should you
give your personal email address to a client and your business email
address to your parents?

Let's expand this further. Why should you be subscribing to a mailing
list with your personal email address? Why should you be the one doing
the routing of incoming emails? And, worse, asking the originator of
the email to, say, prefix the subject.

I'm sympathetic to this point of view, but I also know first-hand the
troubles one can have tracking multiple E-mail addresses.

I believe that the ruby-talk mail contains sufficient header info for
any decent mail reader to Do The Right Thing, and that munging the
subject line, while arguably useful, is not required.

(BTW, I'm tempted to say that this sort of explicit subject prefixing is
akin to type declarations, and wondering if comparisons of the form
"$FOO is like [static|explicit] typing" is some sort of Goodwin's Law
for Ruby discussions.)

James Britt

Hal Fulton

Yohanes said:
[snip]

I feel sad that email addresses in this age of cyberspace are still
treated as if it is as expensive as a phone number. They are cheap,
dirt cheap.

Imagine this: (e-mail address removed), (e-mail address removed),
(e-mail address removed), (e-mail address removed).

If your organisation is still in the backwater, giving you only one
email address, instead of a sub-domain, that's OK. That's just for
work, right?

OTOH, for your personal life, you can get a subdomain for free from
various dyndns providers, and start churning out email addresses.

I am doing this. And I notice one other member in the this mailing
list is also doing this. Come on, we are geeks here. Revolution starts
from us outwards.

I like the way you think, Yohanes. But the problemn is: How do you then
manage all of those email accounts? When you look for something that
someone mailed you, how do you ever find it?

Hal

Jason Sweat

Yohanes said:
[snip]

[...]

I create new email aliases for every store I shop at, and every survey
I fill out. Easy to track where they sell the addresses to. I have
all of them forward to my main address that I check with thunderbird.

OTOH, I like gmail for reading news groups, so I don't use my vanity
domain there.

Regards,
Jason
http://blog.casey-sweat.us/

Yohanes Santoso

Hal Fulton said:
But the problemn is: How do you then manage all of those email
accounts?

If I have to check each email address one by one, I won't be using
this schema as well; it's simply too time-consuming. Instead, I have
it so my mail server puts emails to various mailboxes depending on the
local part of the recipient. So, from end-user experience, it'd be
very similar to how that end-user manage multiple mailboxes so far.

work@foobar would be accessed at mailbox 'work', ruby-talk@foobar is
in mailbox 'ruby-talk', and so on.

My mail server is qmail, and I have it use the script below to route
all emails for @foobar to their proper mailboxes. And I have not
changed this script in any meaningful way since 4 years ago, even as I
was churning out email addresses. One routing rule for forever (ok,
that's stretching it, but one rule is for a long time).
When you look for something that someone mailed you, how
do you ever find it? Hal

Since these are just ordinary mailboxes, you can use your email client
to search through these mailboxes just like what you are doing
now. There are also email clients that would notify you of new emails
in any mailboxes.

At least, the email client included with mozilla allows you to search
through mailboxes, but I'm not sure if it would also notify you of new
emails in any mailboxes.

Ideally, your email client would also support multiple identities. I
have my email clients, Gnus, configured so that the From addresses in
emails I'm composing are computed from the current open mailbox. If I
compose an email while in the ruby-talk mailbox, the computed From
address would be similar to the address I used to subscribe to
ruby-talk ML.

YS.

(abbreviated script)
#!/bin/sh

MAILDIR=~/Maildir

# Put an email in this mailbox if can't find out which mailbox it should
# belong to.
CATCHALL_FOLDER_NAME="" # "" indicates the IMAP's INBOX mailbox

# qmail put the local part after the first '-' in $EXT
FOLDER_NAME=""
if [[ -n "$EXT" ]]; then
# pr@domain ---by qmail--> ysantoso-pr@domain ---by this script --> pr
FOLDER_NAME=`echo ${EXT} | tr -cd [:alnum:] | tr [:upper:] [:lower:]`
fi

FOLDER_DIR=${MAILDIR}/.${FOLDER_NAME}
if [[ ! -d ${FOLDER_DIR} ]]; then
# Used to autocreate non-existent mailboxes. But no more since spams
# passing by spam filter could cause various folders to be created.
# maildirmake.maildrop -f $FOLDER_NAME $MAILDIR > /dev/null || true
FOLDER_DIR=${MAILDIR}/.${CATCHALL_FOLDER_NAME}
fi
# safecat is a program to write to maildir mailbox in an atomic way
safecat $FOLDER_DIR/tmp $FOLDER_DIR/new
echo "Delivered to ${FOLDER_DIR}"

Martin DeMello

Michal Suchanek said:
But even if I use a freemail, I get only one address for personal use.
They explicitly disallow registering more (because I could use more
space then). And dealing with several different freemails is terrible.

I just tried sending a mail to (e-mail address removed). Worked
perfectly, so it's a "trick" worth considering.

martin