Ruby X10 Software

Jim Weirich

Hi All.

My gadget gift for Christmas this year turned out to be a X10 Firecracker kit.
No, its not explosives, but a simple X10 device controller and accessories.
The kit comes with the CM17A wireless computer interface, a wireless
transceiver/controller combo, and a lamp controller. This is the same kit
that Mike Clark talks about at
http://www.pragmaticautomation.com/...itor/Devices/BubbleBubbleBuildsInTrouble.rdoc.
And yes, I already have mine connected to my lava lamp (but it is not
monitoring the build yet).

I put together a simple Ruby package for controlling the CM17A firecracker
controller and everything is working from Ruby just fine. Then I did a
little searching on the web and found very few other Ruby X10 projects. I
found Hal Fulton's Domo project (with CM11 controller) and one other CM17A
implementation (rats, I should have check google before doing one from
scratch).

Is anyone else doing any X10 stuff with Ruby? Just curious.

Richard Kilmer

It will probably not surprise you that I am into X10 stuff with Ruby too.
There are the low level things, but a nice OO high level management API of
X10 stuff would rock. Start a RubyForge project...I will join!

-rich

Jim Weirich

And tell Mike Clark about it, so he'll blog it.

I think Mike reads this list (at least occasionally), so he may know
already :) But yes, I was planning on writing something up for Mike
eventually.

Mike Clark

I think Mike reads this list (at least occasionally), so he may know
already :) But yes, I was planning on writing something up for Mike
eventually.

I'd certainly appreciate that, Jim.

Thanks!

Mike

Hal Fulton

Jim said:
I put together a simple Ruby package for controlling the CM17A firecracker
controller and everything is working from Ruby just fine. Then I did a
little searching on the web and found very few other Ruby X10 projects. I
found Hal Fulton's Domo project (with CM11 controller) and one other CM17A
implementation (rats, I should have check google before doing one from
scratch).

No loss from me, because my code never worked. :/ Actually I think my serial
port on my Linux box is b0rked so I couldn't test it.

Glad to see you're into this!
Is anyone else doing any X10 stuff with Ruby? Just curious.

I'm curious, too. I know I'm responding to an old thread, but I was out
of town for ten days.

Hal