RubyGarden wiki URLs being intercepted

Brian Candler

Hmm, I notice that all the external URL links in www.rubygarden.org/ruby are
being redirected via Google: e.g.

e.g. RubyTalk:4567
is rendered as
http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/4567

and

HTTP://segment7.net/projects/ruby/drb/DRbSSL/
becomes
http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://segment7.net/projects/ruby/drb/DRbSSL/

Is this intentional? I personally don't like having my casual browsing
recorded by third parties in this way, and it's annoying to have to manually
copy the link and edit it each time.

Regards,

Brian.

James Britt

Brian said:
Hmm, I notice that all the external URL links in www.rubygarden.org/ruby are
being redirected via Google: e.g.

e.g. RubyTalk:4567
is rendered as
http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/4567

and

HTTP://segment7.net/projects/ruby/drb/DRbSSL/
becomes
http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://segment7.net/projects/ruby/drb/DRbSSL/

Is this intentional? I personally don't like having my casual browsing
recorded by third parties in this way, and it's annoying to have to manually
copy the link and edit it each time.

I believe this is a technique to prevent URLs from enhancing their
Google page rank. Understandable (perhaps) if the links are for spam,
though I do not know if this approach does anything to prevent the
placement of spam URLs in the first place.

I tend to agree, though about having requests proxied.

James