Running a vbs from ASP

Stan Sainte-Rose

Hi guys,

I would like to run a vbs script from an asp page.
I ve tried many directions but no one works..
The first was :
Dim oShell
Set oShell = Server.CreateObject("WSCript.shell")
i=oShell.run
("w:\wwwroot\look\j_consultation\j06_suivi\modules_stan\GenPDF.vbs 1 2 23,25
byAffaire N 1 FR (e-mail address removed)" )
Set oShell = Nothing

The second used AspExec componant
Set Executor = Server.CreateObject("ASPExec.Execute")
Executor.Application =
"w:\wwwroot\look\j_consultation\j06_suivi\modules_stan\GenPDF.vbs"
Executor.Parameters = "1 2 23,25 byAffaire N 1 FR (e-mail address removed)"
resultat=Executor.ExecuteWinApp

Thanks for your help

Stan

Patrice

This is the same language. Depending on what the script does, you could
likely just include the VBS file and call the function it exposes ?

BTW, it doesn't work but what is the behavior you see ? You could try with a
very simple script to see if it's the call from ASP or the script itself
that fails.

Stan Sainte-Rose

Hi Patrice,
In fact, with Aspexec, I get an "Access is denied" error..
About the vbs script, it generates a pdf doc and sends an email...

Any idea ?

Stan

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

So, is ASP running as IUSR or as an authenticated user? Might try to run as
the latter, or else make sure that IUSR has proper permissions on the EXE
that is used to create the PDF file, and the folder where the PDF file will
be output.

A typical workaround for this is to have the ASP page simply store the "job"
information in a table, and an executable or VBS script wakes up every five
minutes, and processes any new jobs that have been added. This way, the
executable can be run as an administrator or power user, instead of a very
limited anonymous user. Not immediate real-time, but for e-mailing a PDF it
is probably close enough.

Stan Sainte-Rose

Aaron,
Thanks for your reply..