running an ex on eMac

Jean Pierre Daviau

Hi everybody,

I know almost nothing about emac.

I get an exe in C that I would like to run on a eMac.
Can it be done?
How?

Any clue would be appreciated.

--
Thanks for your attention.

Jean Pierre Daviau
--
Easyphp1.8 with Apache1.3.24
DEVC++, borland 5.5

Bill Pursell

Jean said:
I know almost nothing about emac.

I get an exe in C that I would like to run on a eMac.
Can it be done?
How?

What do you mean by "an exe in C"? If you mean that
you have an executable for a windows platform that
was generated from code written in C, then you will
need to get the C code and compile it for your eMac.
(I'm assuming an eMac is a computer from Apple,
and not a typo for the emacs operating-s<esc>Foeditor.)

Jens Thoms Toerring

Jean Pierre Daviau said:
I know almost nothing about emac.
I get an exe in C that I would like to run on a eMac.

This sounds a bit contradictory. An "exe" normally means
an executable program, i.e. a program that already has
been compiled. And if this is the case then it probably
will only run when it was compiled for the same platform
(or you run it under some emulator). But since you write
"in C" this could mean that you have the source code for
the program. If this is the case and the program was
written in a portable way (alas, many aren't) then you
can run it after you have compiled (and linked) it.

Regards, Jens

Jean Pierre Daviau

this could mean that you have the source code for
the program. If this is the case and the program was
written in a portable way (alas, many aren't) then you
can run it after you have compiled (and linked) it.

on the Mac computer.
I can use the same bcc32 compiler?

Thanks

Keith Thompson

Jean Pierre Daviau said:
on the Mac computer.
I can use the same bcc32 compiler?

The same as what?

I think you need to ask in a newsgroup that deals with Mac
programming. Take a look at the newsgroups in the comp.sys.mac
hierarchy.

jmcgill

Jean said:
on the Mac computer.
I can use the same bcc32 compiler?

No. Use XCode and GCC. It is much better anyway.

You *can* run (some) windows .exe programs on (some) Macintosh
computers. It's not often the best choice.

Christopher Benson-Manica

Jean Pierre Daviau

Christopher Benson-Manica said:
(If it's an "exe", it isn't in C. If it's in C, you're looking for a
C compiler.)
Is this in C?
#include <stdio.h>
int main(void)
{
printf("Hello, world\n");
return 0;
}

Yes
Is there a way to compile this to an exe? Yes
Is it 'portable'? We hear on this newsgroup that C is portable. It is
portable where? Not on Windows, nor on Mac. On Linux perhaps?
How can I run it on a Mac os?

Lew Pitcher

Jean said:
Is this in C?
#include <stdio.h>
int main(void)
{
printf("Hello, world\n");
return 0;
}

Yes
Agreed

Is there a way to compile this to an exe? Yes
Agreed

Is it 'portable'? We hear on this newsgroup that C is portable. It is
portable where? Not on Windows, nor on Mac. On Linux perhaps?

As C source, it is portable to any platform that supports a standard C
compiler and the requisite runtime environment

However, as an executable (i.e. an EXE, created by compiling the
source), it is only portable to those platforms that recognize the PE
loadable format as something that can be run. And, a native Mac is
unlikely to be one of those platforms.

How can I run it on a Mac os?

Find a suitable C compiler and runtime environment for the Mac OS,

Compile your portable C code with the compiler (as selected above) to
generate an executable component for the Mac OS

Execute the executable component that the compiler generated for your
portable C source.

HTH