Running an SQL stored procedure with ADO

Jeremy

Hi, I am having a problem running an sql stored procedure with
ADO/ASP. If I hard code a select statement, the code works, but when
I try to use a stored procedure it bombs. Here is my code:

THIS WORKS:

sql="SELECT PartNumber FROM Scrap WHERE DateOpened BETWEEN '20030601',
'20030605'"

'Note: I already did my connection object above
set rs=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs.Open sql,conn

THIS DOES NOT:

'my stored procedure is LC_Top50_ByCost
sql="LC_Top50_ByCost 'DB', '20030601', '20030605'"

set rs=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs.Open sql,conn

HERE IS THE ERROR:

Error Type:
ADODB.Recordset (0x800A0E78)
Operation is not allowed when the object is closed.
/MyWeb/T10_Cost.asp, line 202

Line 202 is the first line that I try to access the data in the
recordset.

Any help would be wonderful, thank you

-Jeremy

Ray at

Have you created and opened "conn" and not closed it prior to executing that
code?

BTW, you may want to use:

Set rs = conn.Execute(sql)

and drop the CreateObject("adodb.recordset") method.

Ray at work

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Can you show your stored procedure code? Sounds like it would be remedied
if you added SET NOCOUNT ON to the beginning of the proc code, but to be
sure, please post it...

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Once again, what does the STORED PROCEDURE code look like??? Maybe you
forgot to include that, or don't believe it's relevant?

And why do you do this:
with cmd
.CommandType=adCmdText

And then:
with cmd
.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc

Which .commandType did you *really* mean?
rs.MoveFirst

Why are you doing a MoveFirst? Where else do you think the recordset should
start at, the last row? Thought about testing for .EOF before executing any
commands? If .EOF returns true, then you can work backward... because you
know why you got the error...

<%
group_charged="DB"
begin_date="20030101"
end_date="20030501"

set conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

conn.open "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;" & _
"Server=myserver;Database=SQMS;" & _
"UID=generic;PWD=generic"

sql = "EXEC Top50Cost " & _
"@LineCode = '" & group_charged & "'," & _
"@StartDate = '" & begin_date & "'," & _
"@EndDate = '" & end_date & "'"

set rs = conn.execute(sql)

if rs.eof then
response.write "Run this in QA. If it returns records, "
response.write " SHOW US THE STORED PROCEDURE."
else
response.write rs(0)
end if

rs.close: set rs = nothing
conn.close: set conn = nothing
%>

Bob Barrows

All stored procedures should have that line in them, except those where you
WANT to have them waste time and resources sending that message to the
client, that is. Take the time to correct your stored procedures. It will be
worth it.

The only alternative is to use the time-and-resources-consuming
NextRecordset method to get to the recordset containing the data you
actually wanted to receive from your procedure.

Bob Barrows