Running program from diagnostics.process never completes.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by joeted, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. joeted

    joeted Guest

    Hi,

    I am using system.diagnostic.process with the intention of running a
    program to communicate with a unix box:

    The program is "PuTTY", running from a batch script. I know it works
    because if i manually trigger the batch, the results can be seen on the
    unix side.

    Running the batch script from an .aspx page however makes the process
    hang indefinately, and the program does not successfully complete. I
    know that the batch can be successfully called (by doing simple 'echo >
    txt' type things), and also that any debug msgs BEFORE triggering the
    program gets written to the text file, but not any debug msgs after.

    I have tried using process.WaitForExit(5000) to specify a timeout, which
    breaks the hanging process, but the program still does not run.

    I have also tried controlling the StdIn and StdOut, setting
    useShellExecute to "False", similar to this URL:
    http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/7914/0/page/5
    The hanging problem still occurs.

    NB: I do not know if this problem is true for a process such as
    'notepad' that would not need communication to another machine.
    I am not administrator of the .net box, and I deal with it remotely, so
    I cannot try to monitor a program local to the .net machine such as
    notepad. (if any one can suggest a 'native' program i could trigger that
    would somehow give me feedback, like creating a text file etc. then it
    might help to isolate the issue further.)

    Thanks so much for reading through all this!!!
    Any help or suggestions on what causes the hanging would be wonderful.

    joeted, Apr 21, 2004