runtime confusion

Jerome

Hello all,
Some questions of a newbie on VB2005 (10 years experience in VB6). Hopefully
somenone can help me.
1.
I went trough a lot of samples and i can't find an answer. How for god sake
do you alter the connection at runtime?? Until now my "initial catalog=" and
"server=" details was in a ini-file and easely configurable from within
notepad, retrieved at startup of the application, (apart from passwords
ofcourse). But now??
2.
How does one cope with the need of connected "recordsets" (datasets/ or
tablesets) ? Do i have to call an update on the dataapter each time when i
move the cursor in a bound datagrid? I tried the datagrid and his samples
but it only updates the cached local data or i need several buttons for
delete/update/appends. My cutomers hate the use of the mouse So, altering
the contents of a field should be sufficient to update the contents of the
database, when closing the form the database was surely already updated.
We are talking about simple small LAN bussines with perhaps 4 or 5 client
pc's and one backend database. So why closing and opening the connection
constantly as proposed in the docs?.

Thanks for your attention

Jerome