Runtime Error

Kiyomi

Hello,

I have created two different ASP.NET applications and placed one in the root
and another one in a sub-directory.

http://localhost/MyApp_1/Index.aspx

http://localhost/MyApp_1/MyApp_2/Index.aspx

Both of these applications work perfectly in my local machine.

Then I have deployed them to the server of a Web Hosting provider. MyApp_1
on the root works well (www.MyDemain.com/Index.aspx), but MyApp_2
(www.MyDomain.com/MyApp_2/Index.aspx) does not work.

I have Runtime Error - Description: An application error occurred on the
server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the
details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security
reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local
server machine.

Although my Web.Config has <customErrors mode="Off"/> tag, I don't see any
details of this specific error on my local (remote) machine.

I wonder why and do you have any ideas for a solution ?

Thank you for your help,

Kiyomi

Karl Seguin

The obvious question...
Is MyApp_2 set up as an application or virtual directory? If not, it could
be the web.Config in My_App1 which is driving it...

Karl

Kiyomi

Thank you for your message, Karl.

I have asked the provider to verify my sub directory as being a vertual
directory, but they insist that the problem is not on their side.
So, what part of my web.Config in My_App1 I should check and how can I
modify ?

I appreciate very much your advice,

Kiyomi

Kiyomi

Yes, my customErrors is turned off in my web.config of MyApp_1, but the
runtime error message I get tells me to do so, which means, I am afraid,
that it is not even getting as far as reading web.config.

I have asked my web-hosting provider to configure my folder as virtual
directory but they say it is not possible. I therefore have to manage with
my web.config file, but I do not know how to do so. I would appreciate your
indicting me which tags to be modified and how.

Thank you very much,

Kiyomi

Karl Seguin

If MyApp_2 is set up as a folder under MyApp_1 and not as an application or
virtual directory...I think you are gonna have a really hard time if they
weren't developed like that. There's a chance some (many) of your links are
going to be broken, and that configurations for one won't be what you want
for the other...

I don't know...seems like a little mess-in-waiting...