RVG - a 2D drawing library add-on for RMagick

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tim Hunter, Nov 21, 2004.

  1. Tim Hunter

    Tim Hunter Guest

    I've just uploaded the initial release of RVG - Ruby Vector Graphics. RVG is
    a 2D drawing library add-on for RMagick. The API is based on the Scalable
    Vector Graphics specification. With RVG you can develop scalable vector
    graphics in any of ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick's 80+ formats, including GIF,
    JPEG, PNG, EPS, and PDF.

    You can get RVG at RubyForge: http://rubyforge.org/projects/rvg/

    The RVG home page http://rvg.rubyforge.org has an example program that
    demonstrates RVG.

    Installing RVG takes just a single command. RVG works with just about any
    release of RMagick, but for best results you should use ImageMagick 6.0.0
    or later or GraphicsMagick 1.1 or later. RMagick 1.5.0 and later releases
    work with these versions of the ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick libraries.

    This is very much an alpha release. My plan for RVG is to release it as a
    separate, easy-to-install add-on for RMagick through its alpha and beta
    releases. I want to make it easy for RMagick users to adopt and upgrade RVG
    throughout its development cycle. When the API stabilizes and RVG reaches
    "production" quality, I'll incorporate it into RMagick and terminate the
    stand-alone version.

    I'm actively soliciting feedback for RVG. The API is still very fluid
    (meaning "I'm open to suggestions!") and there are many features I want to
    add. If you try RVG I'd really like to hear from you. Please let me know
    what you like and don't like, what's missing and what's awkward or
    confusing. You can use the RubyForge forums and trackers,
    or contact me directly at this address or at .
    Tim Hunter, Nov 21, 2004