same or different rms file in different brand phones

Spacey Spade

I would like to know if j2me phones use same rms file format. In other
words, does the midlet developer choose the format of the rms file in
the phone, or does the phone place the rms file in its own format?

Remon van Vliet

I dont see how the internal format of RMS data is relevant, an MIDP
application must use the RecordStore layer and will never have to (and never
can) deal on as low a level as actual RMS storage data. Why exactly do you
need this?

Remon van Vliet

Spacey Spade

I dont see how the internal format of RMS data is relevant, an MIDP
application must use the RecordStore layer and will never have to (and never
can) deal on as low a level as actual RMS storage data. Why exactly do you
need this?

Because I would like to know if it is possible to:

1. download the RMS file from phone to computer
2. use a program to look at and edit the contents of the RMS file
3. upload the updated RMS file from computer to phone

If you put a text file into the RMS file, then you could use the
keyboard to do some typing instead of a phone's touchpad, putting the
edited RMS file back. You could even put a file system into the RMS
file.

Remon van Vliet

Spacey Spade said:
Because I would like to know if it is possible to:

1. download the RMS file from phone to computer
2. use a program to look at and edit the contents of the RMS file
3. upload the updated RMS file from computer to phone

If you put a text file into the RMS file, then you could use the
keyboard to do some typing instead of a phone's touchpad, putting the
edited RMS file back. You could even put a file system into the RMS
file.

Fair enough, this can only possibly work with phone manufacturer dev toolsm
but i'll assume that's not a problem. As far as RMS details go, i would
assume the format is the same in almost all cases, as it should (?) be based
on a reference implementation.