Same program with jsp and without it.

Mr. x

Hello,

I need a good solution that I can make my program that behaves in two
manners :
1) Do manipulation on a btrieve database, without any jsp server, (like
web-logic)
2) Do manipulation on a btrieve database, with a jsp server, (like
web-logic).

The first manner is for intranet use.
The second manner is for internet use.

Can the first manner be for environment, that use lan network ?

Can I use some tricky way, so the first manner won't be much different than
the second one ?

Thanks :)

Wendy S

Mr. x said:
Can I use some tricky way, so the first manner won't be much different than
the second one ?

Why even _have_ a second way? The internal users can use a web browser the
same as the external users.

Chris Smith

Mr. x said:
I need a good solution that I can make my program that behaves in two
manners :
1) Do manipulation on a btrieve database, without any jsp server, (like
web-logic)
2) Do manipulation on a btrieve database, with a jsp server, (like
web-logic).

The first manner is for intranet use.
The second manner is for internet use.

Can the first manner be for environment, that use lan network ?

Can I use some tricky way, so the first manner won't be much different than
the second one ?

Well, there's not going to be a way to make JSP and thick client UI code
look similar. However, you can at least insulate the UI code from the
remainder of the application, by providing some kind of remote access
layer to it, such as EJB session beans, a direct RMI interface, CORBA,
etc. Then your thick client and JSP/servlet code would be separately
maintained, but each would use that common interface.

Alternatively, if your goal is not really JSP but rather "something
through the web", then there are other means of accomplishing this.
However, before you make the two interfaces too awfully similar, keep
Wendy's question in mind: if the non-web version doesn't do anything
differently from what the web version does, why not just have everyone
use the web version? The advantage of a non-web-based UI is that you
can provide more interactivity and better ways to manipulate the data
without the limited control set and constant round-trips... but if
you're not going to do that, then it's a waste of time.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation