    Can I use some tricky way, so the first manner won't be much different than
    the second one ?

    Thanks :)

    Mr. x, Oct 7, 2003

  2. Mr. x

    Wendy S Guest

    "Mr. x" <> wrote:

    > Can I use some tricky way, so the first manner won't be much different

    than
    > the second one ?

    Why even _have_ a second way? The internal users can use a web browser the
    same as the external users.

    --
    Wendy in Chandler, AZ

    Wendy S, Oct 7, 2003

  3. Mr. x

    Chris Smith Guest

    Mr. x wrote:
    > I need a good solution that I can make my program that behaves in two
    > manners :
    > 1) Do manipulation on a btrieve database, without any jsp server, (like
    > web-logic)
    > 2) Do manipulation on a btrieve database, with a jsp server, (like
    > web-logic).
    >
    > The first manner is for intranet use.
    > The second manner is for internet use.
    >
    > Can the first manner be for environment, that use lan network ?
    >
    > Can I use some tricky way, so the first manner won't be much different than
    > the second one ?

    Well, there's not going to be a way to make JSP and thick client UI code
    look similar. However, you can at least insulate the UI code from the
    remainder of the application, by providing some kind of remote access
    layer to it, such as EJB session beans, a direct RMI interface, CORBA,
    etc. Then your thick client and JSP/servlet code would be separately
    maintained, but each would use that common interface.

    Alternatively, if your goal is not really JSP but rather "something
    through the web", then there are other means of accomplishing this.
    However, before you make the two interfaces too awfully similar, keep
    Wendy's question in mind: if the non-web version doesn't do anything
    differently from what the web version does, why not just have everyone
    use the web version? The advantage of a non-web-based UI is that you
    can provide more interactivity and better ways to manipulate the data
    without the limited control set and constant round-trips... but if
    you're not going to do that, then it's a waste of time.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Oct 7, 2003