sandbox is the same as development machine?

jrefactors

I always hear the term "sandbox" in software development circle.
Actually what does it really mean? Is it the machine for development,
or testing purposes, not for actual production purposes?

please advise. thanks!!

Victor Bazarov

I always hear the term "sandbox" in software development circle.
Actually what does it really mean? Is it the machine for development,
or testing purposes, not for actual production purposes?

I've heard it used to mean what I understood as "a playground" or
"a trial (and error) area", some place you don't need kept neat, or
some place that can be easily scrapped and used again.

FWIW, it could be some area on a development machine, like a separate
disk drive, for example.

Keith Thompson

I always hear the term "sandbox" in software development circle.
Actually what does it really mean? Is it the machine for development,
or testing purposes, not for actual production purposes?

please advise. thanks!!

This is off-topic in the comp.lang.* newsgroups. Followups redirected
to comp.software-eng.

gabsaga.tata

Sandbox is a box used for "proof of concept". Therefore, it is a
development box but a different kind of development is done there
because it's not something that will necessarily go to production. It's
just something being done to proof some concept. At least, that's what
we've used several sandboxes for.

Gabsaga