SAP direct JDBC access

Horst Walter

Hi,

I am not sure which driver to use when I want to directly access SAP
data with JDBC. I run a Netweaver sneak preview installation with MS
SQL Server.

1) Of course I can directly use the SQL Server JDBC Drivers, which is
not my goal. I want to use OpenSQL and become database independent -
or do I mix here something.

2) All examples I found are based on Server Side access (via a
datasource). I want to access the data directly from a remote client.
So I need to get a connection directly which requires I know which
driver to use.

3) I found these datadirect P9xxx Drivers. Is this the way to go.

Has somebody a hint for me?
Thx a lot!

Oscar kind

Horst Walter said:
I am not sure which driver to use when I want to directly access SAP
data with JDBC. I run a Netweaver sneak preview installation with MS
SQL Server.

1) Of course I can directly use the SQL Server JDBC Drivers, which is
not my goal. I want to use OpenSQL and become database independent -
or do I mix here something.

Alternatively, you can use a data source to hide the actual database
driver used (to JDBC, it is transparent which database driver is used).

Then, confine yourself to only the SQL standards as supported by SQL
Server, and any other database you want to be compatible with.

Once you have your application running with those constraints, it's
database independent (it only depends on a relational database, but both
JDBC and SQL are biased towards that anyway).

Sebastian Millies

Horst Walter said:
Hi,

I am not sure which driver to use when I want to directly access SAP
data with JDBC. I run a Netweaver sneak preview installation with MS
SQL Server.

1) Of course I can directly use the SQL Server JDBC Drivers, which is
not my goal. I want to use OpenSQL and become database independent -
or do I mix here something.

OpenSQL is always server side, it is a feature of the Netweaver WAS 6.40.
Also note that this gives you access to the J2EE schema only. If you want
to access business data in the ABAP schema, always use the associated
business API.
2) All examples I found are based on Server Side access (via a
datasource). I want to access the data directly from a remote client.
So I need to get a connection directly which requires I know which
driver to use.

This is certainly bad practice!
3) I found these datadirect P9xxx Drivers. Is this the way to go.

Has somebody a hint for me?
Thx a lot!

You may have more luck getting questions like this answered if you
join the SAP developer network at sdn.sap.com

-- Sebastian