SAP direct JDBC access

Discussion in 'Java' started by Horst Walter, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. Horst Walter

    Horst Walter Guest

    Hi,

    I am not sure which driver to use when I want to directly access SAP
    data with JDBC. I run a Netweaver sneak preview installation with MS
    SQL Server.

    1) Of course I can directly use the SQL Server JDBC Drivers, which is
    not my goal. I want to use OpenSQL and become database independent -
    or do I mix here something.

    2) All examples I found are based on Server Side access (via a
    datasource). I want to access the data directly from a remote client.
    So I need to get a connection directly which requires I know which
    driver to use.

    3) I found these datadirect P9xxx Drivers. Is this the way to go.

    Has somebody a hint for me?
    Thx a lot!

    Horst Walter, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Horst Walter

    Oscar kind Guest

    Horst Walter <> wrote:
    > I am not sure which driver to use when I want to directly access SAP
    > data with JDBC. I run a Netweaver sneak preview installation with MS
    > SQL Server.
    >
    > 1) Of course I can directly use the SQL Server JDBC Drivers, which is
    > not my goal. I want to use OpenSQL and become database independent -
    > or do I mix here something.

    Alternatively, you can use a data source to hide the actual database
    driver used (to JDBC, it is transparent which database driver is used).

    Then, confine yourself to only the SQL standards as supported by SQL
    Server, and any other database you want to be compatible with.

    Once you have your application running with those constraints, it's
    database independent (it only depends on a relational database, but both
    JDBC and SQL are biased towards that anyway).

    --
    Oscar Kind http://home.hccnet.nl/okind/

    Oscar kind, Jul 28, 2004

  3. "Horst Walter" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am not sure which driver to use when I want to directly access SAP
    > data with JDBC. I run a Netweaver sneak preview installation with MS
    > SQL Server.
    >
    > 1) Of course I can directly use the SQL Server JDBC Drivers, which is
    > not my goal. I want to use OpenSQL and become database independent -
    > or do I mix here something.

    OpenSQL is always server side, it is a feature of the Netweaver WAS 6.40.
    Also note that this gives you access to the J2EE schema only. If you want
    to access business data in the ABAP schema, always use the associated
    business API.

    > 2) All examples I found are based on Server Side access (via a
    > datasource). I want to access the data directly from a remote client.
    > So I need to get a connection directly which requires I know which
    > driver to use.

    This is certainly bad practice!

    > 3) I found these datadirect P9xxx Drivers. Is this the way to go.
    >
    > Has somebody a hint for me?
    > Thx a lot!

    You may have more luck getting questions like this answered if you
    join the SAP developer network at sdn.sap.com

    -- Sebastian

    Sebastian Millies, Aug 2, 2004