Save Viewstate in DB and restore it later

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Reinhard Vornholt, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I am trieing to save the complete viewstate of a page and restore it at a
    later point.
    That should work like this:
    - Someone leaves the page and switches to an other page in the same
    application
    - The viewstate of the left page should be somehow accesed and be saved into
    a DB
    - after the user did something on an other page or even quited the whole
    application the user returns to that specific page and the viewstate is
    restored

    The problems I have are:
    - How can I retrieve the complete Viewstate (inclusive all controls on the
    page) from a page?
    - How can I set the complete Viewstate of a page.
    - How can I change the value of IsPostBack? (I want it to be IsPostBack =
    true when I restore the viewstate from the DB)

    Facts:
    - The application has login mechanism, so I can identify a returning user
    - All controls (even page) are already inherited and have special featuers.

    Hope someone can give some tips so that I can start.

    Thanx
    R.

    Reinhard Vornholt, Jul 30, 2003