Saving an image from the browser

Nathan Sokalski

I am using ASP.NET, VB.NET, and GDI+ to dynamically create images for
webpages. When I right-click on the dynamically created image to try to save
it to my hard drive, which I send as ImageFormat.Gif, my browser (Internet
Explorer 6.0) wants me to save it as a *.bmp file. The VB.NET line of code
that I use to send the image to the browser is:

textbitmap.Save(Response.OutputStream, ImageFormat.Gif)

Why is my browser forcing me to save an image (supposedly) sent as a gif as
a bmp? Is there some other line of code I need to add in order for IE6 to
recognize it as a *.gif file, or is this just a bug in IE6? (Yes, I know
that I can use the Save() method to save it as a file on my computer, but I
want the browser to treat the dynamically generated images the same as other
images, including the ability to download them in the intended format)

Jaap Bos

Nathan Sokalski said:
I am using ASP.NET, VB.NET, and GDI+ to dynamically create images for
webpages. When I right-click on the dynamically created image to try to
save it to my hard drive, which I send as ImageFormat.Gif, my browser
(Internet Explorer 6.0) wants me to save it as a *.bmp file. The VB.NET
line of code that I use to send the image to the browser is:

textbitmap.Save(Response.OutputStream, ImageFormat.Gif)

Why is my browser forcing me to save an image (supposedly) sent as a gif
as a bmp? Is there some other line of code I need to add in order for IE6
to recognize it as a *.gif file, or is this just a bug in IE6?

A bug in IE6. Deleting your temp. internetfiles is a know remedy.

Jaap

Nick Malik [Microsoft]

Does your HTTP Response header list the data type as GIF?

--
--- Nick Malik [Microsoft]
MCSD, CFPS, Certified Scrummaster

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this forum are my own, and not
representative of my employer.
I do not answer questions on behalf of my employer. I'm just a
programmer helping programmers.

Nathan Sokalski

Yes, I tried including the following line of code immediately before the
Save() method:

Response.ContentType="image/gif"

I also have the following attribute in my @Page directive:

ContentType="image/gif"

But neither on seemed to make any difference.