Schwartz counters.

Dave Townsend

John,

Schwartz counters are a variation of the Singleton pattern to control the
lifetime
of a shared resource such as a file stream such that the resource is created
only
once on the first use, and destroyed when the last client of the resource is
destroyed.
A mgr class controls the shared resource and keeps track of how many times
the constructor
for the resource is called and how many times the destructor is called.
Here is an example to explain better than my words...

dave

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

class SharedResource
{
public:
SharedResource()
{
cout << "Create shared resource\n";

}
~SharedResource()
{
cout << "Closing shared resource \n";
}

void printmsg( const string& Message )
{
cout << "SharedResource::Msg " << Message << "\n";
}

};

class SharedResourceMgr
{
public:
SharedResourceMgr()
{
if ( !_count)
{
_SharedResource = new SharedResource();
}
_count++;
}
~SharedResourceMgr()
{
_count--;

if (!_count )
{
delete _SharedResource;
SharedResource* getSharedResource(){ return _SharedResource;}

private:
static long _count;
static SharedResource* _SharedResource;

};

long SharedResourceMgr::_count =0;
SharedResource* SharedResourceMgr::_SharedResource = 0;

class C1
{
public:
SharedResourceMgr _foo;
void printmsg( const string& msg){
_foo.getSharedResource()->printmsg(msg);}

};
class C2
{
public:
SharedResourceMgr _foo;
void printmsg( const string& msg){
_foo.getSharedResource()->printmsg(msg); };
};
class C3
{
public:
SharedResourceMgr _foo;
void printmsg( const string& msg){
_foo.getSharedResource()->printmsg(msg); };
};

// static instances
C1 c1;
C1 c2;
C1 c3;

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
c1.printmsg("C1");
c2.printmsg("C2");
c3.printmsg("C3");

return 0;

John Harrison

Dave Townsend said:
John,

Schwartz counters are a variation of the Singleton pattern to control the
lifetime
of a shared resource such as a file stream such that the resource is created
only
once on the first use, and destroyed when the last client of the resource is
destroyed.
A mgr class controls the shared resource and keeps track of how many times
the constructor
for the resource is called and how many times the destructor is called.
Here is an example to explain better than my words...

dave

Thanks for the clear explanation. I was hoping for something a bit more
sophisticated though. The original quote made it sound like it might be
something for controlling the order of initialisation across translation
units.

John

Alf P. Steinbach

* John Harrison:
Thanks for the clear explanation. I was hoping for something a bit more
sophisticated though. The original quote made it sound like it might be
something for controlling the order of initialisation across translation
units.

It is related. I think Andrei covered that usage in Modern C++ Design.
One problem it can solve is that while static destruction is opposite
order of construction, one may want e.g. a logging facility to exist
as long as anyone is using it; it might be instantiated late on, but
used till the end of the program.

But I totally agree with you that using a special name for something
conceptually trivial like that (although its application is not
necessary so) is in my words a case of projecting an appearance of
sophistication when the reality is mundane, where that effort by itself
degrades the communication to the point where little can be understood.

Henceforth we shall not say "smart-pointer" but "indirection-operator
based generic implemention of Handle/Body pattern with automatic memory
reclamation semantics", or perhaps "Kalasabunka-Flirrp handles", after
the well-known (?) computer scientists Kalasabunka and Flirrp.