script timeout

PCH

I have a page in asp.net (vb.net) that does some background processing.

the user enters info on the aspx page and clicks run.

That goes to the codebehind to do data/file work.

It can take up to say 10minutes to do the processing.

I've set the server.scripttimeout to a high value.

the problem is that even when the code has "finished" and i can see the
actual data as done.. the webpage itself never completes.

Its supposed to change the text of a few asp.net labels and Exit sub out the
code behind.

It never does.. it will sit there until it finally hits the page timeout or
some other error.

it appears that if it takes over say.. 5minutes.. this hang happens.. if the
page completes its tasks in ~2 minutes it has no problem.

the session timeout is 30min and the page timeout is 30min..

any ideas?

Thanks.

bruce barker

10 minutes is too long, most browsers will not wait that long, they give up.
you should send some data back periodically to keep the browser happy. send
some "."'s

-- bruce (sqlwork)

PCH

i have incorporated a response.flush.. ill try some .'s as well.

it "feels" like its iis/asp.net tho.. because the task will finish in say..
9 minutes, but it still sits there for another 10 until the timeout hits..
like the process takes so long it forgets where to send the end class/sub
calls....