ScrollBy and Floating Div Conflict

vunet.us

Hello,
I have a floating div which I drag all over the page. I want to enable
window.scrollBy function when div is dragged close to top or bottom of
the page, so users would drag this div to the very top or bottom of the
long page. However, when my page gets scrolled up or down, the div I
drag with my mouse scrolls with page too, and I no longer hold the div.

I added a functionality to change the top position of the div to be the
same as mouse top position but that does not seem to work well.
Can anyone suggest something for my case? I'd really be grateful.

Ivo

Hello,
I have a floating div which I drag all over the page. I want to enable
window.scrollBy function when div is dragged close to top or bottom of
the page, so users would drag this div to the very top or bottom of the
long page. However, when my page gets scrolled up or down, the div I
drag with my mouse scrolls with page too, and I no longer hold the div.

I added a functionality to change the top position of the div to be the
same as mouse top position but that does not seem to work well.
Can anyone suggest something for my case? I'd really be grateful.

Can post an url to an example page? It sounds a tad overcomplicated. I
understand you want to scroll when the window when the object being dragged
gets close to the edge. Is that right? Then you need adjust the position of
the dragged object with the amount that the window scrolls. So instead of
looking at the mouse at this point, look at the distance that the window
travels.
HTH
Ivo
http://4umi.com/web/javascript/

vunet.us

Thank you. I'll see if I can post an example.
Ivo said:
Can post an url to an example page? It sounds a tad overcomplicated. I
understand you want to scroll when the window when the object being dragged
gets close to the edge. Is that right? Then you need adjust the position of
the dragged object with the amount that the window scrolls. So instead of
looking at the mouse at this point, look at the distance that the window
travels.
HTH
Ivo
http://4umi.com/web/javascript/

vunet.us

here is my beautiful example

..drag{
position:relative;
cursor:move;
z-index: 100;
}

<script type="text/javascript">

var dragobject={
z: 0, x: 0, y: 0, offsetx : null, offsety : null, targetobj : null,
dragapproved : 0,
initialize:function(){
document.onmousedown=this.drag
document.onmouseup=function(){this.dragapproved=0}
},
drag:function(e){
var evtobj=window.event? window.event : e
this.targetobj=window.event? event.srcElement : e.target
if (this.targetobj.className=="drag"){
this.dragapproved=1
if
(isNaN(parseInt(this.targetobj.style.left))){this.targetobj.style.left=0}
if
(isNaN(parseInt(this.targetobj.style.top))){this.targetobj.style.top=0}
this.offsetx=parseInt(this.targetobj.style.left)
this.offsety=parseInt(this.targetobj.style.top)
this.x=evtobj.clientX
this.y=evtobj.clientY
if (evtobj.preventDefault)
evtobj.preventDefault()
document.onmousemove=dragobject.moveit
}
},
moveit:function(e){
var evtobj=window.event? window.event : e
if (this.dragapproved==1){
this.targetobj.style.left=this.offsetx+evtobj.clientX-this.x+"px"
this.targetobj.style.top=this.offsety+evtobj.clientY-this.y+"px"
return false

dragobject.initialize()

function getPosition(ev){
ev = ev || window.event;
var mousepos = getMouseCoords(ev)
if(mousepos.y < posTop()+50){
pageScrollUp(mousepos.y,ev)
function getMouseCoords(ev){
if(ev.pageX || ev.pageY){
return{x:ev.pageX, y:ev.pageY};
}
return {
x:ev.clientX + document.body.scrollLeft - document.body.clientLeft,
y:ev.clientY + document.body.scrollTop - document.body.clientTop
};
}
function posTop(){
return typeof window.pageYOffset != 'undefined' ? windowPageYOffset :
document.documentElement
&& document.documentElement.scrollTop ?
document.documentElement.scrollTop : document.body.scrollTop ?
document.body.scrollTop : 0;
}
function pageScrollUp(mousePosY,ev){
window.scrollBy(0,-80);
var d = document.getElementById('myDiv');
ev = ev || window.event;
var mousepos = getMouseCoords(ev);

d.style.top = (mousePosY - 80)+'px';
}

</script>
</head><body>

<h1>Test test</h1><h1>Test test test</h1><h1>Test test test
test</h1><h1>Test test test test test</h1>
<h1>Test test test test test test</h1><h1>Test test test test
test</h1><h1>Test test test test</h1>
<h1>Test test test</h1><h1>Test test</h1><h1>Test test</h1><h1>Test
test test</h1><h1>Test test test test</h1>
<h1>Test test test test test</h1>

1px;background-color:lightyellow;width:100px;"

onMouseMove='getPosition();'>Drag Me<br>Anywhere</div>