Search control in firefox (pressing enter in general)

Joel Barsotti

Hi,

So with my search control I want people to be able to enter some text and
press enter and have the search submit.

I was doing this with javascript using the onKeyPress event for the
individual textboxes I wanted to monitor then used the argument to pass the
buttonn id I want to click and used more javascript to simulate the click.
This worked great as anytext box I wanted could fire the submit button I
wanted associated with it. But I recently discovered that it wasn't working
in firefox as the it doesn't seem to be able access the event object that
way.

What's the prefered method for this?

I'm hoping to cover all scenarios like a page with a registration form with
lots of validation controls and the search control. I want it to work in
such a way as you can edit the registration fields and press enter there and
get hit with the validation, if not process the registration or go up to the
search control enter a keyword and press enter in that text box to have it
execute the proper search.

Any help here?