    Could someone point me to a tutorial?

    Thanks
    Donald
    donald, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Hi Donald,

    Searching a database is always done in SQL. To acheive a search on an
    access database you would need to:

    1) Create a search form
    2) When the search is processed in the ASP code build up the SQL query
    using operators such as LIKE, OR and AND.
    3) Execute the query and return all the results.

    So, you might for example have one textbox named 'searchtext'. Someone
    might enter 'pulp fiction'. In the processing page you would do:

    sqlvar = "SELECT * FROM tableFilms WHERE name LIKE '%" &
    Request.form("searchtext") & "%'"

    This would produce:

    SELECT * FROM tableFilms WHERE name LIKE '%Pulp Fiction%'

    Then, execute sqlvar on your database. This would return all records
    where the name contains 'pulp fiction'. Check w3schools tutorials on
    the LIKE comparison.

    You can add more fields to your search form, like dates and one by one
    process the search fields slowly building up the SQL query before execution.

    Hope this helped,

    Tom
    Thomas Gullen, Aug 28, 2004

  3. donald

    mark | r Guest

    "Thomas Gullen" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Donald,
    >
    > Searching a database is always done in SQL. To acheive a search on an
    > access database you would need to:
    >
    > 1) Create a search form
    > 2) When the search is processed in the ASP code build up the SQL query
    > using operators such as LIKE, OR and AND.
    > 3) Execute the query and return all the results.
    >
    > So, you might for example have one textbox named 'searchtext'. Someone
    > might enter 'pulp fiction'. In the processing page you would do:
    >
    > sqlvar = "SELECT * FROM tableFilms WHERE name LIKE '%" &
    > Request.form("searchtext") & "%'"
    >
    > This would produce:
    >
    > SELECT * FROM tableFilms WHERE name LIKE '%Pulp Fiction%'
    >
    > Then, execute sqlvar on your database. This would return all records
    > where the name contains 'pulp fiction'. Check w3schools tutorials on
    > the LIKE comparison.
    >
    > You can add more fields to your search form, like dates and one by one
    > process the search fields slowly building up the SQL query before

    execution.

    > Hope this helped,
    >
    > Tom

    Tom. do you have any tips for rating the results on the fly and showing the
    most relevant results first?

    mark
    mark | r, Aug 30, 2004
  4. donald

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    [Answers Inline]

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:53:06 +0100, "mark | r" <>
    wrote:

    >"Thomas Gullen" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Donald,
    >>
    >> Searching a database is always done in SQL. To acheive a search on an
    >> access database you would need to:
    >>
    >> 1) Create a search form
    >> 2) When the search is processed in the ASP code build up the SQL query
    >> using operators such as LIKE, OR and AND.
    >> 3) Execute the query and return all the results.
    >>
    >> So, you might for example have one textbox named 'searchtext'. Someone
    >> might enter 'pulp fiction'. In the processing page you would do:
    >>
    >> sqlvar = "SELECT * FROM tableFilms WHERE name LIKE '%" &
    >> Request.form("searchtext") & "%'"
    >>
    >> This would produce:
    >>
    >> SELECT * FROM tableFilms WHERE name LIKE '%Pulp Fiction%'
    >>
    >> Then, execute sqlvar on your database. This would return all records
    >> where the name contains 'pulp fiction'. Check w3schools tutorials on
    >> the LIKE comparison.
    >>
    >> You can add more fields to your search form, like dates and one by one
    >> process the search fields slowly building up the SQL query before

    >execution.
    >>
    >> Hope this helped,
    >>
    >> Tom

    >Tom. do you have any tips for rating the results on the fly and showing the
    >most relevant results first?

    Rating systems are tough because it depends on what you (or your user)
    rates as higher than something else. For example, in a search of a
    name, you're searching for:

    Tom Jones

    Define which of these is closer:

    Thomas Jones
    Tom Jonas
    Tony Jones

    You may say "Thomas Jones" and it's obvious to you. But "Tom Jonas"
    has more matching letters, has more in the right places, is closer
    alphabetically and wins all around. Tony Jones is actually closer
    since it has a "To" and not a "Th" to start.

    Might look at third party search products. :)

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Aug 30, 2004