    I am supplying the booklist so an Amazon link isn't of any use either.
    Any suggestions please, anyone ?

    Regards, John.

    John Fitzsimons, Apr 16, 2004

  2. In article <>, John
    Fitzsimons <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to have a booklist on a single web page (eg 500 books) and be
    > able to search that list. Showing the results on another page eg. 10
    > "hits".
    >
    > Is there any software/scripts that might help me please ? This is
    > pretty much a "once off" exercise so would prefer a freeware, or at
    > least reasonably inexpensive, solution.
    >
    > I know visitors could use "find" but I don't want one by one results.
    > I also cannot use most languages on the server I hope to use so it
    > may need to be a java or javascript solution.
    >
    > I am supplying the booklist so an Amazon link isn't of any use either.
    > Any suggestions please, anyone ?
    >
    > Regards, John.

    I would create a javascript array containing all of the titles. This
    array could be displayed on the page at startup and later searched
    using a "for" loop to find matching titles or partial titles.

    On my web site in the Amtrak Reference page I do a search for trains
    that stop at a selected station. It might give you an idea of how to do
    a search.

    I don't think that there would be an easy to directly search the page
    rather than an array but maybe someone has a solution.

    --
    Dennis M. Marks
    http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/

    Dennis M. Marks, Apr 16, 2004

  3. "John Fitzsimons" <> wrote in message
    :
    : Hi,
    :
    : I want to have a booklist on a single web page (eg 500 books) and be
    : able to search that list. Showing the results on another page eg. 10
    : "hits".
    :
    : Is there any software/scripts that might help me please ? This is
    : pretty much a "once off" exercise so would prefer a freeware, or at
    : least reasonably inexpensive, solution.
    :
    : I know visitors could use "find" but I don't want one by one results.
    : I also cannot use most languages on the server I hope to use so it
    : may need to be a java or javascript solution.
    :
    : I am supplying the booklist so an Amazon link isn't of any use either.
    : Any suggestions please, anyone ?
    :
    Try and have your page(s) indexed by a search engine, such as google
    and use their free site search service.

    Long
    www.webcharm.ca - content management web hosting

    Long - CM web hosting, Apr 16, 2004
  4. > "John Fitzsimons" <> wrote in message
    > : I want to have a booklist on a single web page (eg 500 books) and be
    > : able to search that list. Showing the results on another page eg. 10
    > : "hits".

    Perhaps JavaScript Indexer v1.15.01 might do the trick:
    http://www.iuliu.as.ro/projects/javascript/search.html

    Felix Atagong, Apr 16, 2004
  5. John Fitzsimons

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>, DELETEucwubqf02
    @sneakemail.com says...

    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to have a booklist on a single web page (eg 500 books) and be
    > able to search that list. Showing the results on another page eg. 10
    > "hits".
    >
    > Is there any software/scripts that might help me please ? This is
    > pretty much a "once off" exercise so would prefer a freeware, or at
    > least reasonably inexpensive, solution.
    >
    > I know visitors could use "find" but I don't want one by one results.
    > I also cannot use most languages on the server I hope to use so it
    > may need to be a java or javascript solution.
    >
    > I am supplying the booklist so an Amazon link isn't of any use either.
    > Any suggestions please, anyone ?

    Bung it all in to a database. Create your (somewhat large) index page
    from that. Use PHP, ASP, PERL, or other CGI technology to search the
    database.

    If you go down the route of using JavaScript you may end up doubling the
    amount of data you send to the client. Looping through the array to
    write the data out to the screen may be slow, but could reduce the
    amount of data the user needs to download.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel, Apr 16, 2004
  6. John Fitzsimons

    Leslie Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:00:44 +1000, John Fitzsimons
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I want to have a booklist on a single web page (eg 500 books) and be
    >able to search that list. Showing the results on another page eg. 10
    >"hits".
    >
    >Is there any software/scripts that might help me please ? This is
    >pretty much a "once off" exercise so would prefer a freeware, or at
    >least reasonably inexpensive, solution.
    >
    >I know visitors could use "find" but I don't want one by one results.
    >I also cannot use most languages on the server I hope to use so it
    >may need to be a java or javascript solution.
    >
    >I am supplying the booklist so an Amazon link isn't of any use either.
    >Any suggestions please, anyone ?

    Perhaps the free site search service offered by Atomz.com would be
    useful. http://www.atomz.com/applications/search/trial.htm

    I've had it on my site for quite a long time now. Easy to implement,
    results on another page and free.

    Leslie
    "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

    Leslie, Apr 16, 2004
  7. Michael Wilcox, Apr 17, 2004
  8. On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 07:16:02 -0700, "Dennis M. Marks"
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, John
    >Fitzsimons <> wrote:

    >> I want to have a booklist on a single web page (eg 500 books) and be
    >> able to search that list. Showing the results on another page eg. 10
    >> "hits".

    < snip >

    >I would create a javascript array containing all of the titles.

    Thanks, no idea how I would do that but that should help my searching
    for an answer.

    < snip >

    >On my web site in the Amtrak Reference page I do a search for trains
    >that stop at a selected station. It might give you an idea of how to do
    >a search.

    Okay, that might help if I don't find something "ready made". :)

    Regards, John.

    John Fitzsimons, Apr 17, 2004
  9. On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:49:50 GMT, Leslie <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:00:44 +1000, John Fitzsimons
    ><> wrote:

    >>I want to have a booklist on a single web page (eg 500 books) and be
    >>able to search that list. Showing the results on another page eg. 10
    >>"hits".

    < snip >

    >Perhaps the free site search service offered by Atomz.com would be
    >useful. http://www.atomz.com/applications/search/trial.htm

    Wouldn't all "hits" give exactly the same result ? The page with the
    booklist.

    John Fitzsimons, Apr 17, 2004
  10. On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:50:15 GMT, "Long - CM web hosting"
    <> wrote:

    >"John Fitzsimons" <> wrote in message

    >: I want to have a booklist on a single web page (eg 500 books) and be
    >: able to search that list. Showing the results on another page eg. 10
    >: "hits".

    < snip >

    >Try and have your page(s) indexed by a search engine, such as google
    >and use their free site search service.

    How would Google search a list of 500 books on a single web page and
    show only a list of 10 ?

    John Fitzsimons, Apr 17, 2004
  11. On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:56:23 +0100, Hywel <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, DELETEucwubqf02
    >@sneakemail.com says...

    >> I want to have a booklist on a single web page (eg 500 books) and be
    >> able to search that list. Showing the results on another page eg. 10
    >> "hits".

    >> Is there any software/scripts that might help me please ? This is
    >> pretty much a "once off" exercise so would prefer a freeware, or at
    >> least reasonably inexpensive, solution.

    >> I know visitors could use "find" but I don't want one by one results.
    >> I also cannot use most languages on the server I hope to use so it
    >> may need to be a java or javascript solution.

    >> I am supplying the booklist so an Amazon link isn't of any use either.
    >> Any suggestions please, anyone ?

    >Bung it all in to a database. Create your (somewhat large) index page
    >from that.

    The database is simple. It's the searching, and display, that are
    difficult.

    >Use PHP, ASP, PERL, or other CGI technology to search the
    >database.

    A few problems with that. I don't think any of those are allowed on my
    home page. Other than getting a non answer from my ISP I have no idea
    how to find out which may/may not work. I also don't know how to code
    in those languages.

    >If you go down the route of using JavaScript you may end up doubling the
    >amount of data you send to the client. Looping through the array to
    >write the data out to the screen may be slow, but could reduce the
    >amount of data the user needs to download.

    Okay, but I don't think I have much choice.

    Thanks for your input. :)

    Regards, John.

    John Fitzsimons, Apr 17, 2004
  12. On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:14:40 +0200, "Felix Atagong"
    <> wrote:

    >> "John Fitzsimons" <> wrote in message

    >> : I want to have a booklist on a single web page (eg 500 books) and be
    >> : able to search that list. Showing the results on another page eg. 10
    >> : "hits".

    >Perhaps JavaScript Indexer v1.15.01 might do the trick:
    >http://www.iuliu.as.ro/projects/javascript/search.html

    Thanks Felix. That looks pretty close to what I am wanting. :)

    Regards, John.

    John Fitzsimons, Apr 17, 2004
  13. John Fitzsimons

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>, DELETEucwubqf02
    @sneakemail.com says...
    > On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:56:23 +0100, Hywel <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, DELETEucwubqf02
    > >@sneakemail.com says...

    > >> I want to have a booklist on a single web page (eg 500 books) and be
    > >> able to search that list. Showing the results on another page eg. 10
    > >> "hits".

    > >> Is there any software/scripts that might help me please ? This is
    > >> pretty much a "once off" exercise so would prefer a freeware, or at
    > >> least reasonably inexpensive, solution.

    > >> I know visitors could use "find" but I don't want one by one results.
    > >> I also cannot use most languages on the server I hope to use so it
    > >> may need to be a java or javascript solution.

    > >> I am supplying the booklist so an Amazon link isn't of any use either.
    > >> Any suggestions please, anyone ?

    > >Bung it all in to a database. Create your (somewhat large) index page
    > >from that.

    > The database is simple. It's the searching, and display, that are
    > difficult.

    Not really - you can search a database with a simple SQL statement:
    SELECT * FROM tblBooks WHERE Title='%mockingbird%'

    That will return a recordset that you loop through while creating your
    tabular HTML.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel, Apr 17, 2004
  14. John Fitzsimons

    Karl Groves Guest

    "Hywel" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, DELETEucwubqf02
    > @sneakemail.com says...
    > > On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:56:23 +0100, Hywel <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >In article <>,

    DELETEucwubqf02
    > > >@sneakemail.com says...

    either.

    > > >Bung it all in to a database. Create your (somewhat large) index page
    > > >from that.

    > > The database is simple. It's the searching, and display, that are
    > > difficult.

    > Not really - you can search a database with a simple SQL statement:
    > SELECT * FROM tblBooks WHERE Title='%mockingbird%'
    >
    > That will return a recordset that you loop through while creating your
    > tabular HTML.

    I'd advise the OP to not try programming his own search.
    There's a *lot* more to programming effective search than simply looking for
    a record match.
    What about misspellings? Homophone errors? missing words? (i.e. if they
    forgot to enter the word "To" in "To Kill A Mockingbird")

    In usability studies, we often ask "What would you do if you can't find what
    you're looking for?"
    Close to 100% of participants say "I'd go to 'search' for it"
    On sites where there is a search function, we ask them to actually go and
    search for what they're looking for.
    If/ when the search is ineffective, we see that most people will express
    frustration or confusion in some way or another.
    We then ask "Now what would you do?" Most people then say one of four
    things: a) "Leave" b) "Go to Google" c) "Look for site map" d) "Call them"

    Don't get me wrong. I fully agree with the need for search. I think all
    large sites need to have a search utility. But if the search isn't powerful
    and intelligent, it is NOT worth having and is more of a roadblock for the
    user than a benefit.

    -Karl

    Karl Groves, Apr 17, 2004
  15. On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:39:47 -0500, Michael Wilcox

    John Fitzsimons, Apr 17, 2004
  16. John Fitzsimons wrote:
    > Wouldn't all "hits" give exactly the same result ? The page with the
    > booklist.

    Ah, then I didn't read the post correctly. In that case, there's better
    answers then mine, about databases and such.
    --
    Michael Wilcox, http://mikewilcox.t35.com/

    Michael Wilcox, Apr 18, 2004
  17. John Fitzsimons

    Jeff Thies Guest

    > > > The database is simple. It's the searching, and display, that are
    > > > difficult.

    > > Not really - you can search a database with a simple SQL statement:
    > > SELECT * FROM tblBooks WHERE Title='%mockingbird%'
    > >
    > > That will return a recordset that you loop through while creating your
    > > tabular HTML.
    > >

    > I'd advise the OP to not try programming his own search.
    > There's a *lot* more to programming effective search than simply looking

    for
    > a record match.
    > What about misspellings? Homophone errors? missing words? (i.e. if they
    > forgot to enter the word "To" in "To Kill A Mockingbird")

    I'm inclined to agree with the problems of searching and not getting
    results.

    You can still improve simple searches though. Splitting the words out of the
    search string and then looking for them individually and collectively is a
    fairly trivial task and would take care of most problems other than
    mispellings.

    Unsure of a word, leave it out.

    Looks like 4 to 6 lines of your preferred language.

    I suppose you could add spelling alternatives, it's not that hard. 40 some
    lines and a dictionary list.

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Apr 19, 2004