Seeking advice on crash in __tcf_0

Discussion in 'C++' started by Lyndsey.Ferguson@gmail.com, May 23, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello Everyone,
    I am investigating a crash within our application that has me stumped.

    I am developing for Mac OS X, but I believe that this may be a regular
    gcc c++ type question.

    Here is the stack crawl of where the application is crashing:

    Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x0c3968c0

    Thread 0 Crashed:
    0 <<00000000>> 0x0c3968c0 0 + 0xc3968c0
    1 com.mycompany.app 0x00002214 0x1000 + 0x1214
    2 dyld 0x8fe1a278 _dyld_start + 0x64

    After debugging it in gdb, I find that the code is crashing in a
    function "__tcf_0". Which, according to my research so far, is a
    function placed inside each function for a static object and is
    registered with exit(). Its purpose is to call the destructor and free
    the memory for that static object. When exit is called, inside it
    calls each registered __tcf_0 function. The problem occurs when the
    static memory is no longer valid and the crash occurs.

    Do you think my research is correct? If so, how in the world do I find
    where the problem is? We have many many static variables (more than I
    can replace) -- how do I know where the problem lies?

    Does anyone have any tips? Hopefully someone has dealt with this before

    and found a solution.

    I appreciate any help on this matter. Thank you in advance.

    Sincerely,
    Lyndsey

    , May 23, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I am investigating a crash within our application that has me stumped.
    >
    > I am developing for Mac OS X, but I believe that this may be a regular
    > gcc c++ type question.

    And what makes you think it's on topic here? Try gnu.g++.help. They
    (GCC project) also have online discussion forums (http://gcc.gnu.org/).
    Your problem is implementation-specific. And this a language newsgroup.
    Please see the Welcome message for the explanations on the topicality
    of c.l.c++: http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

    Victor Bazarov, May 23, 2006

    Thanks for your suggestion, I will try both resources.

    Sincerely,
    Lyndsey

    , May 23, 2006
  4. Jim Langston Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello Everyone,
    > I am investigating a crash within our application that has me stumped.
    >
    > I am developing for Mac OS X, but I believe that this may be a regular
    > gcc c++ type question.
    >
    > Here is the stack crawl of where the application is crashing:
    >
    > Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    > Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x0c3968c0
    >
    > Thread 0 Crashed:
    > 0 <<00000000>> 0x0c3968c0 0 + 0xc3968c0
    > 1 com.mycompany.app 0x00002214 0x1000 + 0x1214
    > 2 dyld 0x8fe1a278 _dyld_start + 0x64
    >
    > After debugging it in gdb, I find that the code is crashing in a
    > function "__tcf_0". Which, according to my research so far, is a
    > function placed inside each function for a static object and is
    > registered with exit(). Its purpose is to call the destructor and free
    > the memory for that static object. When exit is called, inside it
    > calls each registered __tcf_0 function. The problem occurs when the
    > static memory is no longer valid and the crash occurs.
    >
    > Do you think my research is correct? If so, how in the world do I find
    > where the problem is? We have many many static variables (more than I
    > can replace) -- how do I know where the problem lies?

    Not having used Mac OS X, but familiar with some types of errors, it sounds
    to me like you are trying to delete the same memory twice. Try this small
    program and see if you get the same error:

    int main()
    {
    int* MyInt = new int();

    delete MyInt;
    delete MyInt; // Does this line produce the same type of error?
    }

    Jim Langston, May 23, 2006