seeking xml load/save library for c++ ... plus some other questions

Discussion in 'XML' started by Jim Williams, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. Jim Williams

    Jim Williams Guest

    I have some questions aboyt XML, and it's use for file

    I'll try and be as clear as possible - I apologise in advance if I
    get a bit waffely. I also apologise if these groups (comp.text.xml,
    com.lang.c++) are the wrong ones for these sorts of questions. If the
    are, please point me in the right direction.

    Enough apologising - on with the questions:
    I'm working with a 3D engine, that displays a scene. I want to be
    able to save the scene to a file, (and of course load the scene from
    the saved file). It has been specified that XML is the required format
    for the save files. The objects in the scene are stored in a tree
    heirachy. The obvious method to use is to start at the top of the
    tree, and traverse all it's branches, at each node (scene object)
    saving the information to a file. So I'd need an XML load and XML save
    function for every scene object. I think this is similar to object
    serialization, but at a slightly higher level, as the information I'm
    saving will generally be at a higher level than the C++ object - ie I
    want to save my own (usually simplified) representation of the object.

    Does the above make sense? I hope so!
    Does it sound like a good place to use XML?
    Has anyone done anything similar?

    Can anyone reccomend any libraries to do the above XML loading and
    saving? I'd it like to be as lightweight as possible. I don't want to
    use the .NET xml libraries.

    Thank you very much
    Jim

    http://www.usenet.com
    Jim Williams, Aug 2, 2004

  2. Jim Williams

    John Torjo Guest

    > [snip]
    > Does it sound like a good place to use XML?
    > Has anyone done anything similar?

    Robert Ramey (ramey at rrsd dot com) is working on a very good
    [serialize] library.
    It's quite generic.

    If you really wish, you can implement XML on top of that. But I don't
    think you need XML - you can use simple serialization (check out his
    library).

    Best,
    John

    John Torjo
    Freelancer
    --

    Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
    -- "Win32 GUI Generics" -- generics & GUI do mix, after all

    Professional Logging Solution for FREE
    -- http://www.torjo.com/code/logging.zip (logging - C++)
    -- http://www.torjo.com/logview/ (viewing/filtering - Win32)
    -- http://www.torjo.com/logbreak/ (debugging - Win32)
    (source code available)
    John Torjo, Aug 2, 2004

  3. Jim Williams wrote:
    > Can anyone reccomend any libraries to do the above XML loading and
    > saving? I'd it like to be as lightweight as possible. I don't want to
    > use the .NET xml libraries.

    http://www.xmlsoftware.com/parsers.html

    In my company, they use Xerces (http://xml.apache.org/). It's not
    lightweight, but it definitely works (even under MS Windows!).

    Ralph
    Ralph D. Ungermann, Aug 2, 2004
  4. "John Torjo" <> wrote in message
    > > [snip]
    > > Does it sound like a good place to use XML?
    > > Has anyone done anything similar?

    > Robert Ramey (ramey at rrsd dot com) is working on a very good
    > [serialize] library.
    > It's quite generic.
    >
    > If you really wish, you can implement XML on top of that. But I

    don't
    > think you need XML - you can use simple serialization (check out his
    > library).

    As I'm sure you know, John, Robert's library has been accepted into
    boost, and should be in the next release, which is coming soon.

    Also, his library supports XML archives, though I'm not sure it's what
    the OP wanted, since I can't see his message on my newsreader.

    Jonathan
    Jonathan Turkanis, Aug 3, 2004