Seen this message? Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'

Allen Marshall

Seen this message? Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock'

I got this trying to install DBI and DBD for mysql from CPAN. After
fumbling, a comment by somebody said "Make /tmp world writable and set
the sticky bit"

OK
so

chmod uog+t /tmp (and I did +rwx too - was that wrong?)

but no dice, so knowing that mysql has set up its socket in
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock and finding no obvious way to change this
default, I used a soft link

in /tmp

ln -s /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock /tmp/mysql.sock

and now everything works right. But, have I compromised file
permissions unnecessarily, or, is there a way to just use
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock without this fussing?

Thanks!

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Allen said:
Seen this message? Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'

I just saw it in another newsgroup. Don't multi-post!