Seen this message? Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Allen Marshall, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. Seen this message? Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    '/tmp/mysql.sock'

    I got this trying to install DBI and DBD for mysql from CPAN. After
    fumbling, a comment by somebody said "Make /tmp world writable and set
    the sticky bit"

    OK
    so

    chmod uog+t /tmp (and I did +rwx too - was that wrong?)

    but no dice, so knowing that mysql has set up its socket in
    /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock and finding no obvious way to change this
    default, I used a soft link

    in /tmp

    ln -s /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock /tmp/mysql.sock

    and now everything works right. But, have I compromised file
    permissions unnecessarily, or, is there a way to just use
    /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock without this fussing?

    Thanks!

    Allen Marshall, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Re: Seen this message? Can't connect to local MySQL server throughsocket '/tmp/mysql.sock'

    Allen Marshall wrote:
    > Seen this message? Can't connect to local MySQL server through
    > socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'

    I just saw it in another newsgroup. Don't multi-post!

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jan 24, 2004