Select Box

sancha

I need a select Box where the user cannot change the value. If i use
disabled the user complains that they are unable to see the value of
the box.

i tried attaching onclick,ondblclick events via javascript to call a
function.
If i put an alert in the function and then return false it works. If i
just return false it dosent and allows the user to change the values.
It needs to be a select box because only for particular users it has to
be disabled.

right now i have attached for onfocus and ondblclick

function dontChangeSelectvalue()
{
this.disabled=true;
this.disabled=false;
return false;
}

this works well for onFocus but for ondblClick the box falls down and
then gets disabled. Please help.

cosmic foo

sancha said:
I need a select Box where the user cannot change the value. If i use
disabled the user complains that they are unable to see the value of
the box.

if i disable a select tag, i can still see the selected option.

sancha

Even i can but its a bit hard to read.
My clients are unable and constantly complaining :((

They dont like to stress their eyes. I can't seem to find a way to stop
the doubleClick from dropping the menu down.
The biggest problem is that i need it to be a select box, because of
dynamic rows which need to be added.
i have a set of rows. the rows are readonly depending on start date
values.
Now if i have to add a row then i have to clone the above row but now
the select box must have all the options. I cant therefore convert the
older one as a text field.

Can anything be done ?
Thanx in advance

sancha

Also jim asked me use onchange=this.value="whatever value i want it to
be". This also dosent work since it alllows the dropdown to drop. i
need something which stops the dropdown from dropping down.
i also tried
onmouseover = disabled=true
onmouseout=disabled=false
however while on mouseover worked onmouseout isnt working. somebody
plzz advice :)