select for opening sockets in single threaded environment

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Klaus, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. Klaus

    Klaus Guest

    Hello,

    I did post this message already recently, but do have the impression,
    that this message never has never been pushed to other news servers.

    Well.

    I do have a single threaded application.

    I want to be able to treat input from stdin and to listen() for incoming
    socket connections on the same time.

    How can I do this in a non blocking fashion?
    (meaning, that I can read and process any input from stdin as soon as it
    arrives and still know, when somebody connects to the port I was
    listening to.

    If my mail is not clear, then I will clarify.

    I just don't want to write my message over and over again till the
    newserver finally pushes my message to the 'world'
    (However this time I saved my message ;-) )

    bye

    Klaus
    Klaus, Dec 16, 2004

  2. Klaus

    Richard Bos Guest

    Klaus <r26375@nospam_fsl.com> wrote:

    > I did post this message already recently, but do have the impression,
    > that this message never has never been pushed to other news servers.

    It did, and Joona gave you a perfectly good answer: this is off-topic
    here. Find a group where sockets are on-topic. For Unix sockets this
    would probably be comp.unix.programmer; for WinSock,
    microsoft.something.long.and.intractable.

    Richard
    Richard Bos, Dec 16, 2004