[SEMI-OT] On The (Non) Value of Programming Language Research

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by jbritt@ruby-doc.org, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. Guest

    , Jan 9, 2004

  2. When people asked for a spec of Ruby, I always thought they meant
    something like the Java language spec
    (http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/jTOC.doc.html).

    In the article, OTOH, when he says "formal" he means something along
    the line of an operational/denotational semantics (which for the most
    part is comprehensible only to professional PL researchers).

    Or maybe I'm wrong, and everyone's clamoring for an operational
    semantics of Ruby...

    Nathan

    Nathan Weston, Jan 9, 2004