sending binary data from rcairo through cgi

SteveC

I get

[Wed Jul 13 12:05:08 2005] [error] mod_ruby: /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/c=
airo.rb:21:in `new_png': wrong argument type Apache::Request (expected File=
) (TypeError)

when attempting to pipe output from rcairo through cgi using

cr =3D Context.new
cr.set_target_png($stdout , FORMAT_ARGB32, WIDTH, HEIGHT);

It is ok with stdout when running on the command line, but not when
through mod_ruby. My two questions are 1) Can I get the output stream
=66rom cgi and give it to rcairo somehow and if that works 2) will it be
happy having binary data thrown down that pipe to the browser?

TIA

have fun,

SteveC (e-mail address removed) http://www.fractalus.com/steve/