Sending data to the parallel port

MNQ

Hi All

I want to use my parallel port of my PC to control some external devices. I
am writing a program in ANSI C using the PacificC compiler. What I need to
know is how to access the parallel port ie to send data and to read the
state of the parallel port including the control lines. Can anyone
help/point me in the correct direction? I have tried the help files and the
internet but am unable to find anything relevant.

Thanks in advance.

Naveed

Christopher Benson-Manica

MNQ <[email protected]> spoke thus:

(Acceptable post title? Sorry I didn't wait the required 2 hours...)
I want to use my parallel port of my PC to control some external devices. I
am writing a program in ANSI C using the PacificC compiler. What I need to
know is how to access the parallel port ie to send data and to read the
state of the parallel port including the control lines. Can anyone
help/point me in the correct direction? I have tried the help files and the
internet but am unable to find anything relevant.

(The below welcome text was originally written by Ben Pfaff)

Your question is outside the domain of comp.lang.c, which discusses
only the standard C programming language, including the standard C
library. This is a remarkably narrow topic compared to what many
people expect.

For your convenience, the list below contains topics that are not
on-topic for comp.lang.c, and suggests newsgroups for you to explore
if you have questions about these topics. Please do observe proper
netiquette before posting to any of these newsgroups. In particular,
you should read the group's charter and FAQ, if any (FAQs are
available from www.faqs.org and other sources). If those fail to
answer your question then you should browse through at least two weeks
of recent articles to make sure that your question has not already
been answered.

* OS-specific questions, such as how to clear the screen,
access the network, list the files in a directory, or read
"piped" output from a subprocess. These questions should be
directed to OS-specific newsgroups, such as
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc, comp.unix.programmer, or
comp.os.linux.development.apps.

* Compiler-specific questions, such as installation issues and
locations of header files. Ask about these in
compiler-specific newsgroups, such as gnu.gcc.help or
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc. Questions about writing
compilers are appropriate in comp.compilers.

* Processor-specific questions, such as questions about
assembly and machine code. x86 questions are appropriate in
comp.lang.asm.x86, embedded system processor questions may
be appropriate in comp.arch.embedded.

* ABI-specific questions, such as how to interface assembly
code to C. These questions are both processor- and
OS-specific and should typically be asked in OS-specific
newsgroups.

* Algorithms, except questions about C implementations of
algorithms. "How do I implement algorithm X in C?" is not a
question about a C implementation of an algorithm, it is a
request for source code. Newsgroups comp.programming and
comp.theory may be appropriate.

* Making C interoperate with other languages. C has no
facilities for such interoperation. These questions should
be directed to system- or compiler-specific newsgroups. C++
has features for interoperating with C, so consider
comp.lang.c++ for such questions.

* The C standard, as opposed to standard C. Questions about
the C standard are best asked in comp.std.c.

* C++. Please do not post or cross-post questions about C++
to comp.lang.c. Ask C++ questions in C++ newsgroups, such
as comp.lang.c++ or comp.lang.c++.moderated.

* Test posts. Please test in a newsgroup meant for testing,
such as alt.test.

news.groups.questions is a good place to ask about the appropriate
newsgroup for a given topic.

Mark A. Odell

I want to use my parallel port of my PC to control some external
devices. I am writing a program in ANSI C using the PacificC compiler.
What I need to know is how to access the parallel port ie to send data
and to read the state of the parallel port including the control lines.
Can anyone help/point me in the correct direction? I have tried the
help files and the internet but am unable to find anything relevant.

You're off-topic and don't give up on the Internet so easily. I found
this:

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ih/doc/par/doc/data.html

by searching google for" writing to the parallel port in C

Macgyver

MNQ said:
Apologies and thankyou

there is quite a lot of information out there on the Internet that
explains how to do this. Try www.beyondlogic.org. There is an
example there which explains how to connect an LCD module to the
parallel port and program it in C. If you need further help let me
know.

Regards,

Ben.

Kevin Goodsell

Macgyver said:
there is quite a lot of information out there on the Internet that
explains how to do this. Try www.beyondlogic.org. There is an
example there which explains how to connect an LCD module to the
parallel port and program it in C.

If so then it's either blatantly wrong or it's not using C as defined by
the C standard. The C language simply does not supply a way to
accomplish this.

If I recall correctly, the Beyond Logic site is full of non-standard
code using DOS extensions.

-Kevin

A123b456c

Subject: Re: Sending data to the parallel port
From: Kevin Goodsell (e-mail address removed)
Date: 1/7/04 3:52 PM US Mountain Standard Time
If so then it's either blatantly wrong or it's not using C as defined by
the C standard. The C language simply does not supply a way to
accomplish this.

If I recall correctly, the Beyond Logic site is full of non-standard
code using DOS extensions.

-Kevin
You sound like a religious fanatic.
Engineering is, simplified, about finding working solutions to practical
problems.
It is not keeping the purity of the faith,
keeping out the infidels, being rude to
people who make mistakes or don't know
better.

A123b456c

From: (e-mail address removed) (Macgyver)
Date: 1/7/04 3:41 AM US Mountain Standard Time
there is quite a lot of information out there on the Internet that
explains how to do this. Try www.beyondlogic.org. There is an
example there which explains how to connect an LCD module to the
parallel port and program it in C. If you need further help let me
know.

Regards,

Ben.
www.beyondlogic.org send out spy software. Do NOT contact them. Unless
you work for them.........

Kevin Goodsell

A123b456c said:
You sound like a religious fanatic.
Engineering is, simplified, about finding working solutions to practical
problems.
It is not keeping the purity of the faith,
keeping out the infidels, being rude to
people who make mistakes or don't know
better.

If you don't value correctness and topicality, this group is not for
you. Also, I don't believe my message was rude, I was simply pointing
out what the poster or the OP might not already know - that such things
cannot be done in standard, portable C, and that the site in question
does not use standard C.

And please don't send your replies to my email AND to the group. One or
the other is usually fine.

-Kevin

Richard Heathfield

A123b456c said:
www.beyondlogic.org send out spy software. Do NOT contact them. Unless
you work for them.........

I just contacted them, by visiting their Web site. I received no spy
software whatsoever. Perhaps you are confusing "spy software" with "Web
page".