Sending email through asp.net web app

MOHSEN KASHANI

Hi,
I am working on an intranet web application and need to be able to send
email through the application. I have to use an Exchange server to do this.
Can you tell me what I need to set up, what information I need to have or
collect?

Thanks.

Braulio Diez

Hi,

First of all speak with the network administrator and ask for an SMTP
server to rely on and send e-mails, problably he will give you an address,
user and password, check with a telnet if it's working fine:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/07/14/428324.aspx

Once you have checked that the account is working fine, you can code the
..net code, use system.net.mail namespace:

http://www.systemnetmail.com/

More info about how to send e-mails on .net:

http://www.tipsdotnet.com/ArticleBlog.aspx?KWID=45&Area=SMTP&PageIndex=0

Good luck
Braulio

/// ------------------------------
/// Braulio Diez
///
/// http://www.tipsdotnet.com
/// ------------------------------

ashkaan57

Hi,

First of all speak with the network administrator and ask for an SMTP
server to rely on and send e-mails, problably he will give you an address,
user and password, check with a telnet if it's working fine:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/07/14/428324.aspx

Once you have checked that the account is working fine, you can code the
.net code, use system.net.mail namespace:

http://www.systemnetmail.com/

More info about how to send e-mails on .net:

http://www.tipsdotnet.com/ArticleBlog.aspx?KWID=45&Area=SMTP&PageIndex=0

Good luck
Braulio

/// ------------------------------
/// Braulio Diez
///
///http://www.tipsdotnet.com
/// ------------------------------

Thanks for the reply Braulio. I conatcted the administrator and was
given the mail server name. I was told I do not require user id and
password. So, in my web.config I added:
<system.net>
<mailSettings>
<smtp>
<network host="mailrelay.agencyname.gov" />
</smtp>
</mailSettings>
</system.net>

and in the aspx file:

string strFrom = "(e-mail address removed)";
string strTo = "(e-mail address removed)";
MailMessage mm = new MailMessage(strFrom, strTo);
mm.Subject = "Test Email from ASP.NET";
mm.Body = "This is a test email sent from within an ASP
application.";
mm.IsBodyHtml = false;
mm.Priority = MailPriority.Normal;
SmtpClint sc = new SmtpClient();
// SmtpClient sc = new SmtpClient("mailrelay.agencyname.gov");
// sc.Credentials = new NetworkCredential();
sc.Send(mm);
}

I get an error from Symantec Email Proxy:

Your email message to (e-mail address removed)
with mail subject of
Test Email from ASP.NET
was unable to be sent because the connection to your mail server was
interrupted.
Please open your email client and re-send the message from the Send
Message folder.

I tried changing the web.config to read:
<network host="mailrelay.agencyname.gov" userName="" password="" />
but got the same error.

Thanks.

ashkaan57

[...]

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

OK, I got it.
I was testing this from my workstation and I already had setup an SMTP
server (from within Outlook) and when I tried to use the other SMTP
server (mailrealy...., given to me by administrator) from within the
application, it choked. If I use the same SMTP server as listed in
Outlook, it works fine. Thank you all for your suggestions and help.