Sending Email with System.Net.Mail

Guest

I switched from System.Web.Mail to System.Net.Mail, however I am now
reconsidering that move because if I send an email to an email address in the
form (e-mail address removed), I receive an error message "The specified string is
not in the form required for an e-mail address". I have conducted further
testing and evidently the SmtpClient class Send method does not like the
period "." between the "john" and "doe". If I conduct a test with an email
address in the form (e-mail address removed)...everything works fine.

This is a showstopper for me... if I am using System.Net.Mail to inform
e-commerce customers of post-purchase activity. I can never predict when I
may encounter a non-conforming email address.

Does anyone know whether a fix is available to System.Net.Mail ???

Philip

David Wier

What is your syntax for providing the email address?
It's not the same syntax as it was in the older version

Mark Rae

I switched from System.Web.Mail to System.Net.Mail, however I am now
reconsidering that move because if I send an email to an email address in
the
form (e-mail address removed), I receive an error message "The specified string
is
not in the form required for an e-mail address". I have conducted further
testing and evidently the SmtpClient class Send method does not like the
period "." between the "john" and "doe". If I conduct a test with an
email
address in the form (e-mail address removed)...everything works fine.

Hmm - please provide the code you are using...

Juan T. Llibre

The MailMessage format changed a bit :

Dim FromAddress As String = "(e-mail address removed)"
Dim ToAddress As String = "(e-mail address removed)"
Dim mail As New MailMessage(FromAddress, ToAddress)