Sending Outlook Email w/voting buttons through a Perl script...

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Kevin B. Pease, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. Hi everyone,

    I've done quite a bit of Google searching for this, and haven't yet
    managed to stumble upon the solution, but I can't help but think there must
    be a way to do this. I know it's possible to use ActiveState's perl distro
    to send email via the Outlook OLE interface (requiring perl on Windows), but
    what I'm looking to do is a little different...

    I have a cgi (written in perl) running on a Solaris 8 system (served up
    via Apache), from which I'd like to send email to people at my company, all
    of whom use Outlook 2000 (or higher). The script is used for submitting
    requests to different support groups, and I've received requests to allow
    for the inclusion of "voting buttons" (those little buttons in Outlook you
    can add to the message that will allow you to respond with a pre-defined
    answer) by management to indicate approval / disapproval of various
    requests. Can anybody tell me:

    a) Is this possible? I assume it must be, although maybe it's not
    easy?
    b) Does anyone know of any modules that might allow this already?
    c) Does anyone know of any other methods that I might investigate
    instead?

    I know this isn't a "strictly perl" question, but my existing
    infrastructure IS perl, and I'd like to accommodate the request by extending
    the current infrastructure rather than rewrite the entire thing to work from
    Windows just so I can do this.

    Thanks,

    Kevin Pease

    ----------
    Kevin B. Pease
    at kevin dot pease at fmr dot com
    Kevin B. Pease, Nov 19, 2004

  2. "Kevin B. Pease" <> wrote in

    > via Apache), from which I'd like to send email to people at my
    > company, all of whom use Outlook 2000 (or higher). The script is used
    > for submitting requests to different support groups, and I've received
    > requests to allow for the inclusion of "voting buttons" (those little
    > buttons in Outlook you can add to the message that will allow you to
    > respond with a pre-defined answer) by management to indicate approval
    > / disapproval of various requests.

    I would go about this in one of two ways:

    1. Send myself a message that looks like what the management wants. Save
    the raw message to examine what it contains. If it is in some well
    defined text format, then you can just use that as your message template
    using one of the email modules.

    2. Instead of "Outlook" buttons, send an HTML formatted message which
    links (via graphics that look like buttons) to a CGI script that
    authenticates and logs the vote.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    A. Sinan Unur