    command.

    Keith
    , Feb 19, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > I have three frames

    Oh dear.

    http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames

    > printed out via one perl program. Once a
    > user submits info from frame one, a second perl program is called and
    > it outputs a first set of info to the second frame. That same second
    > perl program has to send a second set of info to a third frame. how do
    > I do this? I can't seem to find a 'target' choice for the CGI print
    > command.

    There isn't one. A CGI script outputs data which is sent over HTTP. You have
    to get the browser to open the resource in a specific frame, generally with
    with a link that has a target or with the src attribute of the frame (and
    this means running the program multiple times with different parameters to
    get the different data you want in each frame)

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Feb 19, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > I have three frames printed out via one perl program....

    Sounds like a dumb design.

    But if you want the actions of one frame change a different frame, then
    you have to have that different frame call it's own "new" page What
    you are looking for is basically a frame menu. I do something in frame
    #1, and the contents of frame#2 changes. I do something in frame#2 and
    the contents of frame #3 changes. While not EXACTLY like a frame menu,
    the concept is about the same.

    That should give you a direction to start from
    Travis Newbury, Feb 20, 2006
  4. wrote:

    > All:
    > I have a bit of a problem with a Perl/CGI program and was
    > wondering if anyone knew an answer to this. I tried asking this in a
    > Perl group but some people got angry thinking this was more of an HTML
    > question; so, here I am.
    > I have three frames printed out via one perl program. Once a
    > user submits info from frame one, a second perl program is called and
    > it outputs a first set of info to the second frame. That same second
    > perl program has to send a second set of info to a third frame. how do
    > I do this? I can't seem to find a 'target' choice for the CGI print
    > command.

    If it is possible, you may put frame 2 and 3 into a separate frameset,
    something like this

    | frame 1 |
    | frameset |
    | +-------------------+ +--------------------+ |
    | | frame 2 | | frame 3 | |
    | | | | | |
    | +-------------------+ +--------------------+ |

    Your form in frame 1 has a target attribute with the name of the new
    frameset. Your script has then to output this frameset and embed links to
    itself for frame 2 and 3, each one with a parameter to tell it which frame
    it has to output and probably which dataset it has to process (or what ever
    you need).
    Well this mostly defeats the (small) advantage of having separate frames 2
    and 3, so you could also use a single frame for it.
    Or use no frames at all, so you don't have to worry about such anoying
    problems and concentrate more on your application.

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de
    Benjamin Niemann, Feb 20, 2006