Sending periodic email from servlet

hust6

I have a question:

I have a series of servlets that allow users to interact with a
database. One feature I would like to add, is to have an automated
email sent to me once a week to notify me of any changes that were
made. I already have the code in place to send this to me on my
command, but I would like a way for this to happen, say for example,
every friday evening.

Could someone recommend to me a course of action on how to do this?
Currently, all my code is done in Java, so doing it through that would
be ideal.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

jhr

hust6 said:
I have a question:

I have a series of servlets that allow users to interact with a
database. One feature I would like to add, is to have an automated
email sent to me once a week to notify me of any changes that were
made. I already have the code in place to send this to me on my
command, but I would like a way for this to happen, say for example,
every friday evening.

Could someone recommend to me a course of action on how to do this?
Currently, all my code is done in Java, so doing it through that would
be ideal.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

If on unix, run your current progam via a cron job.

Otherwise, you can use the java.util.Timer to schedule this type of
action using its scheduleAtFixedRate method. This requires you to
implement you email app as a java.util.TimerTask.

Tajonis

jhr said:
If on unix, run your current progam via a cron job.

Otherwise, you can use the java.util.Timer to schedule this type of
action using its scheduleAtFixedRate method. This requires you to
implement you email app as a java.util.TimerTask.

another option would be to utilize Quartz
http://www.opensymphony.com/quartz/ it provides a rather extensive API
for scheduling.