Serializable Continuations in Ruby

Patrick Li

Does anyone know if there are any plans for implementing serializable
continuations in the future? I need the feature, and Scheme has it, but
I would like to avoid having to learn Scheme if possible. I'm just not a
prefix operator guy.

Martin DeMello

you'd be surprised at how pleasant a language scheme is to work with,
once you've used it for a while

martin

Patrick Li

I would be very very happy if that turns out to be true.
Is there a book that you can recommend to me to get started?

I'm working through How to Design Programs right now, but it's not
comprehensive enough. It doesn't even talk about threads and
continuations, and skimps over the object system.

Also, I'm using Dr.Scheme right now. Is there an environment that has
syntax completion and documentation popups? .... besides emacs.... I
can't stand emacs.

-Patrick

Martin DeMello

I would be very very happy if that turns out to be true.
Is there a book that you can recommend to me to get started?

I'm working through How to Design Programs right now, but it's not
comprehensive enough. It doesn't even talk about threads and
continuations, and skimps over the object system.

Give PLAI a look:
http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Books/ProgLangs/2007-04-26/
Also, I'm using Dr.Scheme right now. Is there an environment that has
syntax completion and documentation popups? .... besides emacs.... I
can't stand emacs.

Hm - not sure. All I ask of an IDE is good autoindentation, and
DrScheme gives me that.

martin

Christopher Dicely

I would be very very happy if that turns out to be true.
Is there a book that you can recommend to me to get started?

I'm working through How to Design Programs right now, but it's not
comprehensive enough. It doesn't even talk about threads and
continuations, and skimps over the object system.

Also, I'm using Dr.Scheme right now. Is there an environment that has
syntax completion and documentation popups? .... besides emacs.... I
can't stand emacs.

-Patrick

HtDP is designed to use Scheme to teach programming, not to teach
Scheme programming.

If you are using the PLT Scheme implementation (included in Dr.
Scheme), you should check out the docs at doc.plt-scheme.org, the
guide (more accessible) and reference (more complete) there seem to
cover the topics you are interested in. Autocompletion in Scheme is
difficult because they don't have much externally imposed syntax
beyond S-expressions; that's the source of the power of the language.