server application error

middletree

I use to always be able to view my local ASP pages at http://localhost, but
a few days ago, it started giving me the following notice:
===================
Server Application Error
The server has encountered an error while loading an application during the
processing of your request. Please refer to the event log for more detail
information. Please contact the server administrator for assistance

I assume that something is up with IIS, but I don't know where to look. It
happens on each and every ASP page I try to view. I haven't changed
anything, haven't put up any Microsoft patches or anything. I suspect
spyware. I run the usual anti-spyware/adware programs quite often, and catch
one or two items just about every time. That dang Winfixer came in a couple
weeks ago, and it was pretty nasty, but I digress.

Anyone seen this error before?

Disclosure: I posted this to the IS group, and received no answer yet, so
this could be considered a cross-post

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

middletree said:
Disclosure: I posted this to the IS group, and received no answer yet, so
this could be considered a cross-post

Not really, it's a multi-post, which frustrates those that try to help ...

Evertjan.

middletree wrote on 25 aug 2005 in
Didn't mean to frustrate anyone. It's a very rare thing for me to do
this.

Top posting also frustrates many.

Stefan Berglund

in said:
middletree wrote on 25 aug 2005 in

Top posting also frustrates many.

As does incessantly yammering about it.

middletree

Ok, then. I viewed the thing in IE (I normally use Firefox) and it showed
the same error. I went to the event viewer, and the Application and Security
showed nothing whatsoever. The Sytem one showed two things:

*****************************
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10004
Date: 8/25/2005
Time: 8:29:46 PM
User: N/A
Computer: WXP
DCOM got error "The request is not supported. " and was unable to logon
..\IWAM_WXP in order to run the server:
{3D14228D-FBE1-11D0-995D-00C04FD919C1}

***************************

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W3SVC
Event Category: None
Event ID: 36
Date: 8/25/2005
Time: 8:29:46 PM
User: N/A
Computer: WXP
The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT'. The error was
'The server process could not be started because the configured identity is
incorrect. Check the username and password.
'.
For additional information specific to this message please visit the
Microsoft Online Support site located at:

**************************

I'm guessing it's the username and password thing, but I don't know where to
go from here. The pages are not database-connected; just basic ASP. So I
guess IIS must need a name and password. This is the first time I've ever
heard of this.

I'm off to the Microsoft site now, but in the meantime, any help
appreciated.

Evertjan.

Stefan Berglund wrote on 26 aug 2005 in
On 25 Aug 2005 20:39:08 GMT, "Evertjan."

As does incessantly yammering about it.

As does such a thing as not accepting
that netiquette exists
and is valuable.

Poining the netiquette out to disregarding usenet users
is the only way to have these efficient rules adhered to.

middletree

Evertjan. said:
Poining the netiquette out to disregarding usenet users
is the only way to have these efficient rules adhered to.

I try to remember thr rules, but I obviously forget from time to time.

BTW, I hate the no-top-posting rule. It's stupid. Top-posting is much more
considerate, logical, and just plain better for a number of reasons.

But I'm here for help, not to change the place to my liking. So now that I
am bottom-posting, do you have any advice on my problem?

Evertjan.

middletree wrote on 27 aug 2005 in
I try to remember thr rules, but I obviously forget from time to time.

Don't we all?
BTW, I hate the no-top-posting rule. It's stupid. Top-posting is much
more considerate, logical, and just plain better for a number of
reasons.

Perhaps with mail, though also there I doubt that,
but never with usenet postings,
where many readers were not reading
or are not remembering earlier postings.

On usenet you are not entering into a one to one conversation, but in a
round table conference, where people constantly join and depart.

Showing the direct context you are responding on in a logical sequence
seems considerate to this usenet community, and that is what netiquette is
about.
But I'm here for help, not to change the place to my liking. So now
that I am bottom-posting, do you have any advice on my problem?

I wouldn't know, since I use ASP mainly on remote servers and there have no
access to the innards of ISS.

However, I would suspect a firewall like Norton first, based on recurring
postings on this NG.