server application error

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by middletree, Aug 25, 2005.

  1. middletree

    middletree Guest

    I use to always be able to view my local ASP pages at http://localhost, but
    a few days ago, it started giving me the following notice:
    ===================
    Server Application Error
    The server has encountered an error while loading an application during the
    processing of your request. Please refer to the event log for more detail
    information. Please contact the server administrator for assistance

    I assume that something is up with IIS, but I don't know where to look. It
    happens on each and every ASP page I try to view. I haven't changed
    anything, haven't put up any Microsoft patches or anything. I suspect
    spyware. I run the usual anti-spyware/adware programs quite often, and catch
    one or two items just about every time. That dang Winfixer came in a couple
    weeks ago, and it was pretty nasty, but I digress.

    Anyone seen this error before?

    Disclosure: I posted this to the IS group, and received no answer yet, so
    this could be considered a cross-post

    middletree, Aug 25, 2005

  2. Tom Kaminski [MVP], Aug 25, 2005

  3. middletree

    middletree Guest

    Didn't mean to frustrate anyone. It's a very rare thing for me to do this.

    "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    > "middletree" <> wrote in message
    > > Disclosure: I posted this to the IS group, and received no answer yet,

    so
    > > this could be considered a cross-post

    > Not really, it's a multi-post, which frustrates those that try to help ...
    >
    > --
    > Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/iis/
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > http://www.iistoolshed.com/ - tools, scripts, and utilities for running

    IIS

    middletree, Aug 25, 2005
  4. middletree

    Evertjan. Guest

    middletree wrote on 25 aug 2005 in

    > Didn't mean to frustrate anyone. It's a very rare thing for me to do
    > this.

    Top posting also frustrates many.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Aug 25, 2005
  5. On 25 Aug 2005 20:39:08 GMT, "Evertjan." <> wrote:
    in <Xns96BDE6857E648eejj99@194.109.133.242>

    >middletree wrote on 25 aug 2005 in
    >microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    >
    >> Didn't mean to frustrate anyone. It's a very rare thing for me to do
    >> this.

    >Top posting also frustrates many.

    As does incessantly yammering about it.

    ---
    Stefan Berglund

    Stefan Berglund, Aug 26, 2005
  6. middletree

    middletree Guest

    Ok, then. I viewed the thing in IE (I normally use Firefox) and it showed
    the same error. I went to the event viewer, and the Application and Security
    showed nothing whatsoever. The Sytem one showed two things:

    *****************************
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: DCOM
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 10004
    Date: 8/25/2005
    Time: 8:29:46 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: WXP
    DCOM got error "The request is not supported. " and was unable to logon
    ..\IWAM_WXP in order to run the server:
    {3D14228D-FBE1-11D0-995D-00C04FD919C1}

    ***************************

    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: W3SVC
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 36
    Date: 8/25/2005
    Time: 8:29:46 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: WXP
    The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT'. The error was
    'The server process could not be started because the configured identity is
    incorrect. Check the username and password.
    '.
    For additional information specific to this message please visit the
    Microsoft Online Support site located at:

    **************************

    I'm guessing it's the username and password thing, but I don't know where to
    go from here. The pages are not database-connected; just basic ASP. So I
    guess IIS must need a name and password. This is the first time I've ever
    heard of this.

    I'm off to the Microsoft site now, but in the meantime, any help
    appreciated.

    middletree, Aug 26, 2005
  7. middletree

    Evertjan. Guest

    Stefan Berglund wrote on 26 aug 2005 in
    > On 25 Aug 2005 20:39:08 GMT, "Evertjan."
    >
    >>middletree wrote on 25 aug 2005 in
    >>
    >>> Didn't mean to frustrate anyone. It's a very rare thing for me to do
    >>> this.

    >>Top posting also frustrates many.

    > As does incessantly yammering about it.

    As does such a thing as not accepting
    that netiquette exists
    and is valuable.

    Poining the netiquette out to disregarding usenet users
    is the only way to have these efficient rules adhered to.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Aug 26, 2005
  8. middletree

    middletree Guest

    "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    > Poining the netiquette out to disregarding usenet users
    > is the only way to have these efficient rules adhered to.

    I try to remember thr rules, but I obviously forget from time to time.

    BTW, I hate the no-top-posting rule. It's stupid. Top-posting is much more
    considerate, logical, and just plain better for a number of reasons.

    But I'm here for help, not to change the place to my liking. So now that I
    am bottom-posting, do you have any advice on my problem?

    middletree, Aug 27, 2005
  9. middletree

    Evertjan. Guest

    middletree wrote on 27 aug 2005 in
    > "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    >> Poining the netiquette out to disregarding usenet users
    >> is the only way to have these efficient rules adhered to.

    > I try to remember thr rules, but I obviously forget from time to time.

    Don't we all?

    > BTW, I hate the no-top-posting rule. It's stupid. Top-posting is much
    > more considerate, logical, and just plain better for a number of
    > reasons.

    Perhaps with mail, though also there I doubt that,
    but never with usenet postings,
    where many readers were not reading
    or are not remembering earlier postings.

    On usenet you are not entering into a one to one conversation, but in a
    round table conference, where people constantly join and depart.

    Showing the direct context you are responding on in a logical sequence
    seems considerate to this usenet community, and that is what netiquette is
    about.

    > But I'm here for help, not to change the place to my liking. So now
    > that I am bottom-posting, do you have any advice on my problem?

    I wouldn't know, since I use ASP mainly on remote servers and there have no
    access to the innards of ISS.

    However, I would suspect a firewall like Norton first, based on recurring
    postings on this NG.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.