server side redirect https => https NOT working

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Axel, Mar 28, 2009.

  1. Axel

    Axel Guest

    Hi

    I am trying to redirect from some (login) pages from https to http by
    using >>Response.Redirect<< but it seems to always end up on https pages
    anyway. The only way I get the users back to http is by them clicking on
    my (explicit) links but I want to drop them back to http as soon as they
    are logged in.

    The other way around (http to https) works fine. What could cause such a
    behavior? Maybe some global switch in global.asa? Or cookies set by the
    secure page? Its really weird.

    I am considering doing the redirect client side but I don't want the
    whole page to load and then to the redirect as its slooow. OTOH I am
    scared of cutting the page short server site in case the client redirect
    method fails (e.g. due to ignoring javascript or meta headers). Is there
    a sure fire way to redirect to non-secure after successful login?

    thanks in advance
    Axel

    Axel, Mar 28, 2009

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Axel <> writing in

    > Hi
    >
    > I am trying to redirect from some (login) pages from https to http by
    > using >>Response.Redirect<< but it seems to always end up on https

    pages
    > anyway. The only way I get the users back to http is by them clicking

    on
    > my (explicit) links but I want to drop them back to http as soon as

    they
    > are logged in.
    >
    > The other way around (http to https) works fine. What could cause such

    > behavior? Maybe some global switch in global.asa? Or cookies set by

    the
    > secure page? Its really weird.
    >
    > I am considering doing the redirect client side but I don't want the
    > whole page to load and then to the redirect as its slooow. OTOH I am
    > scared of cutting the page short server site in case the client

    redirect
    > method fails (e.g. due to ignoring javascript or meta headers). Is

    there
    > a sure fire way to redirect to non-secure after successful login?
    >
    > thanks in advance
    > Axel

    Here's what I do:

    serverswitchon = "https://" & request.servervariables("SERVER_NAME")
    serverswitchon = serverswitchon & left(request.servervariables
    ("PATH_INFO"),instrrev(request.servervariables("PATH_INFO"),"/"))
    serverswitchoff = "http://" & request.servervariables("SERVER_NAME")
    serverswitchoff = serverswitchoff & left(request.servervariables
    ("PATH_INFO"),instrrev(request.servervariables("PATH_INFO"),"/"))

    response.redirect serverswitchoff & "pagename.asp" 'to http
    response.redirect serverswitchon & "pagename.asp" 'to https

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 29, 2009

  3. Axel

    Axel Guest

    Re: server side redirect https => http STILL NOT working

    Hi - I am still struggling can not make a server side redirect happen
    from https to http.

    its not the generation of the URL that is the problem; it just simply
    seems to ignore the fact that I am redirecting from secure to a plain
    http page (the other way round always work). The user can click on http
    links and follow but redirects or AddHeader always stays within https.

    After reading
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/aspfaqs/ShowFAQ.asp?FAQID=72 (ADPFAQs.com)
    and
    http://www.somacon.com/p145.php (Permanent Redirect with HTTP 301)

    Here is my final code (using AddHeader instead of Redirect) - I also
    made sure not have ANY output before I call the page. However, some
    session variables are written (these are needed to identify the user
    once he is logged on) - Buffering is turned on as per standard.

    Function redirectNoSSL(sUrl)
    Dim sNewURL
    sNewURL = stripSSL(sUrl)
    If Response.Buffer=True then
    Response.Clear
    Response.Buffer=False
    End If

    'Call Response.Redirect(sNewURL)
    ' instead of redirect!

    Response.Status = "301 Moved Permanently"
    Call Response.AddHeader ("Location", sNewURL)
    End Function

    (stripSSL works fine, and is supposed to with relative URLs; it just
    recreates the current URL with http: instead of https, and appends the
    (relative) target URL, see code below)

    any other suggestions.

    Axel

    ' example: Redirect stripSSL("../../images/head.gif")
    Function stripSSL(sTarget)
    Dim host, sUrl, i
    stripSSL=""
    if sTarget="" Then Exit Function

    sUrl=Request.ServerVariables("URL")
    host=Request.ServerVariables("server_name")

    i=InStrRev(sUrl, "/")
    stripSSL= "http://" & host & Left(sUrl,i) & sTarget
    End Function

    Axel, Apr 21, 2009
  4. Re: server side redirect https => http STILL NOT working

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Axel <> writing in

    Please do not top post - it confuses the order of the conversation.
    Top posting corrected. See below:

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Axel <> writing in
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I am trying to redirect from some (login) pages from https to http by
    >>> using >>Response.Redirect<< but it seems to always end up on https

    >> pages
    >>> anyway. The only way I get the users back to http is by them clicking

    >> on
    >>> my (explicit) links but I want to drop them back to http as soon as

    >> they
    >>> are logged in.
    >>>
    >>> The other way around (http to https) works fine. What could cause

    such
    >>> behavior? Maybe some global switch in global.asa? Or cookies set by

    >> the
    >>> secure page? Its really weird.
    >>>
    >>> I am considering doing the redirect client side but I don't want the
    >>> whole page to load and then to the redirect as its slooow. OTOH I am
    >>> scared of cutting the page short server site in case the client

    >> redirect
    >>> method fails (e.g. due to ignoring javascript or meta headers). Is

    >> there
    >>> a sure fire way to redirect to non-secure after successful login?
    >>>
    >>> thanks in advance
    >>> Axel
    >>>

    >> Here's what I do:
    >>
    >> serverswitchon = "https://" & request.servervariables("SERVER_NAME")
    >> serverswitchon = serverswitchon & left(request.servervariables
    >> ("PATH_INFO"),instrrev(request.servervariables("PATH_INFO"),"/"))
    >> serverswitchoff = "http://" & request.servervariables("SERVER_NAME")
    >> serverswitchoff = serverswitchoff & left(request.servervariables
    >> ("PATH_INFO"),instrrev(request.servervariables("PATH_INFO"),"/"))
    >>
    >> response.redirect serverswitchoff & "pagename.asp" 'to http
    >> response.redirect serverswitchon & "pagename.asp" 'to https
    >>

    > Hi - I am still struggling can not make a server side redirect happen
    > from https to http.

    Did you try my method (watch wrapping)? I have no problems here doing
    this - of course, this is on my local machine, with a local certificate.

    This is what I did. I created a page - pagename0.asp that I put into my
    url bar as https://localhost/pagename0.asp . That page comes up and
    loops through the server variables - https is ON. There is a link to
    pagename1.asp. Clicking on that (still in https), pagename1.asp
    response.redirects to http://localhost/pagename3.asp. Pagename3.asp also
    loops through the server variables, and it shows https is OFF.

    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 22, 2009
  5. Axel

    Adrienne Boswell schrieb:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Axel <> writing in
    >
    > Please do not top post - it confuses the order of the conversation.
    > Top posting corrected. See below:
    >
    >> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Axel <> writing in

    >>> pages
    >>> on
    >>> they

    > such
    >>> the

    >>> redirect
    >>> there

    >>> Here's what I do:
    >>>
    >>> serverswitchon = "https://" & request.servervariables("SERVER_NAME")
    >>> serverswitchon = serverswitchon & left(request.servervariables
    >>> ("PATH_INFO"),instrrev(request.servervariables("PATH_INFO"),"/"))
    >>> serverswitchoff = "http://" & request.servervariables("SERVER_NAME")
    >>> serverswitchoff = serverswitchoff & left(request.servervariables
    >>> ("PATH_INFO"),instrrev(request.servervariables("PATH_INFO"),"/"))
    >>>
    >>> response.redirect serverswitchoff & "pagename.asp" 'to http
    >>> response.redirect serverswitchon & "pagename.asp" 'to https
    >>>

    >> Hi - I am still struggling can not make a server side redirect happen
    >> from https to http.

    > Did you try my method (watch wrapping)? I have no problems here doing
    > this - of course, this is on my local machine, with a local certificate.
    >
    > This is what I did. I created a page - pagename0.asp that I put into my
    > url bar as https://localhost/pagename0.asp . That page comes up and
    > loops through the server variables - https is ON. There is a link to
    > pagename1.asp. Clicking on that (still in https), pagename1.asp
    > response.redirects to http://localhost/pagename3.asp. Pagename3.asp also
    > loops through the server variables, and it shows https is OFF.

    Hi Adrian,

    I am not quite sure what the difference is from the Redirect point of
    view. Like me, you are also creating a standard version of the URI
    (http://localhost/page.asp) in the string serverswitchoff. Then you do a
    response.redirect to it. Or is it the fact that in your example you 2
    redirects (??).

    In my case I do response.redirect http://path/somepage.asp
    but still end up on https://path/somepage.asp
    So its not the URI that is the problem but the redirect (from secure to
    http). BTW it always works the other way round (http => https). Maybe it
    is a restriction of our ISP (network solutions).

    BTW I can not test this behavior on localhost as I do not have a local
    certificate. I always have to upload.

    thanks
    Axel

    Axel, Apr 25, 2009
  6. Re: server side redirect https => http STILL NOT working

    > Adrienne Boswell schrieb:
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Axel <> writing in
    >>
    >> Please do not top post - it confuses the order of the conversation.
    >> Top posting corrected. See below:

    >> such

    >>> Hi - I am still struggling can not make a server side redirect
    >>> happen from https to http.

    >> Did you try my method (watch wrapping)? I have no problems here
    >> doing this - of course, this is on my local machine, with a local
    >> certificate.
    >>
    >> This is what I did. I created a page - pagename0.asp that I put into
    >> my url bar as https://localhost/pagename0.asp . That page comes up
    >> and loops through the server variables - https is ON. There is a
    >> link to pagename1.asp. Clicking on that (still in https),
    >> pagename1.asp response.redirects to http://localhost/pagename3.asp.
    >> Pagename3.asp also loops through the server variables, and it shows
    >> https is OFF.
    >>

    > Hi Adrian,

    Hate to be picky, but it's _Adrienne_ not Adrian. I'm female.

    > I am not quite sure what the difference is from the Redirect point of
    > view. Like me, you are also creating a standard version of the URI
    > (http://localhost/page.asp) in the string serverswitchoff. Then you do
    > a response.redirect to it. Or is it the fact that in your example you
    > 2 redirects (??).

    Did you set it up EXACTLY like I said? This is something that I put in an
    include and use as needed, eg:

    <li><a href="<%=serverswitchon%>login.asp">Login</a></li>
    <li><a href="<%=serverswitchoff%>logoff.asp">Log Off</a></li>

    > In my case I do response.redirect http://path/somepage.asp
    > but still end up on https://path/somepage.asp
    > So its not the URI that is the problem but the redirect (from secure
    > to http). BTW it always works the other way round (http => https).
    > Maybe it is a restriction of our ISP (network solutions).

    I doubt your ISP is Network Solutions. They are a registrar and hosting
    provider, AFAIK, they are not an ISP.

    > BTW I can not test this behavior on localhost as I do not have a local
    > certificate. I always have to upload.

    You can have a local certificate. It's absolutely necessary for testing,
    just as in this case.

    See [http://andyjarrett.co.uk/andy/blog/index.cfm/2004/10/1/Localhost-
    SSL-testing-on-Win-XPIIS-5-for-free] for instructions on how to install a
    certificate for localhost.

    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 25, 2009
  7. Axel

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    >>> This is what I did. I created a page - pagename0.asp that I put into
    >>> my url bar as https://localhost/pagename0.asp . That page comes up
    >>> and loops through the server variables - https is ON. There is a
    >>> link to pagename1.asp. Clicking on that (still in https),
    >>> pagename1.asp response.redirects to http://localhost/pagename3.asp.
    >>> Pagename3.asp also loops through the server variables, and it shows
    >>> https is OFF.
    >>>

    >> Hi Adrian,

    > Hate to be picky, but it's _Adrienne_ not Adrian. I'm female.

    oh sorry, oops. :)

    >> I am not quite sure what the difference is from the Redirect point of
    >> view. Like me, you are also creating a standard version of the URI
    >> (http://localhost/page.asp) in the string serverswitchoff. Then you do
    >> a response.redirect to it. Or is it the fact that in your example you
    >> 2 redirects (??).

    > Did you set it up EXACTLY like I said? This is something that I put in an
    > include and use as needed, eg:
    >
    > <li><a href="<%=serverswitchon%>login.asp">Login</a></li>
    > <li><a href="<%=serverswitchoff%>logoff.asp">Log Off</a></li>

    yes - but these are links, and they happen on the client. Of course the
    client is free to follow any link be it http or https...

    What I am doing is a submit from a secure page, which posts to itself,
    then does some database processing, password check and set other client
    variables such as last cart etc. and then redirects to the relevant
    (http) shopping area (*). And that's what ends up in (https) of that URI
    anyway (although the redirect corrects to the http address. Of course I
    could put in an interim page "click here to continue" and then go to the
    normal protocol page but its not very elegant.

    (*)some special customers get to special portal areas via the same
    login. Also if a session is timed out I redirect back to what the
    customer did last after login.

    I was also considering a redirect on the client but a lot of browsers
    will react with security warnings...

    >> In my case I do response.redirect http://path/somepage.asp
    >> but still end up on https://path/somepage.asp
    >> So its not the URI that is the problem but the redirect (from secure
    >> to http). BTW it always works the other way round (http => https).
    >> Maybe it is a restriction of our ISP (network solutions).

    > I doubt your ISP is Network Solutions. They are a registrar and hosting
    > provider, AFAIK, they are not an ISP.

    Yeah you're right. they're our host for the web site. what a stupid
    mistake... my ISP is 3 ireland...

    >> BTW I can not test this behavior on localhost as I do not have a local
    >> certificate. I always have to upload.

    > You can have a local certificate. It's absolutely necessary for testing,
    > just as in this case.
    >
    > See [http://andyjarrett.co.uk/andy/blog/index.cfm/2004/10/1/Localhost-
    > SSL-testing-on-Win-XPIIS-5-for-free] for instructions on how to install a
    > certificate for localhost.

    that's cool to know - thank you very much!

    Has anybody else any idea about the redirect? I still believe its the
    hosts fault. Or could it be some option in global.asa?

    Axel

    Axel, Apr 26, 2009
  8. Axel

    Axel Guest

    HOST DOESN'T SUPPORT server side redirect https ->http ????

    >> You can have a local certificate. It's absolutely necessary for
    >> testing, just as in this case.
    >> See [http://andyjarrett.co.uk/andy/blog/index.cfm/2004/10/1/Localhost-
    >> SSL-testing-on-Win-XPIIS-5-for-free] for instructions on how to
    >> install a certificate for localhost.

    > that's cool to know - thank you very much!

    I have installed the IIS resource kit on my machine and issued a
    certificate for myself for testing. ANd, lo and behold, the redirect
    from https to https works on my local machine. So its definitely the
    host's fault. Now I only need to find out why the hell... :(

    thanks for your help again!

    Axel

    Axel, Apr 26, 2009
  9. Re: HOST DOESN'T SUPPORT server side redirect https ->http ????

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Axel <> writing in news:
    #:

    >>> You can have a local certificate. It's absolutely necessary for
    >>> testing, just as in this case.
    >>> See

    [http://andyjarrett.co.uk/andy/blog/index.cfm/2004/10/1/Localhost-
    >>> SSL-testing-on-Win-XPIIS-5-for-free] for instructions on how to
    >>> install a certificate for localhost.

    >> that's cool to know - thank you very much!
    >>

    > I have installed the IIS resource kit on my machine and issued a
    > certificate for myself for testing. ANd, lo and behold, the redirect
    > from https to https works on my local machine. So its definitely the
    > host's fault. Now I only need to find out why the hell... :(
    >
    > thanks for your help again!

    I'm so glad to be of help. Let us know how it work out, in case any of
    us have a similar problem.

    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 27, 2009