servlet

roohbir

I have an html file that uses Ajax. The back end is a Servlet file.
Just wanted to know how I can upload the servlet to my website. I have
an account with 1and1. I want the servlet there. So what process should
I follow to do that.
Cheers
Roohbir

Andrew Thompson

roohbir said:
I have an html file that uses Ajax. The back end is a Servlet file.
Just wanted to know how I can upload the servlet to my website. I have
an account with 1and1.

What's that? You're toaster? A little googling failed to
find any '1and1' host. Care to share an URL?
...I want the servlet there. So what process should
I follow to do that.

Upload it to the correct place in the WEB-INF, generally.
Beyond that, the answer is probably 'consult 1and1 help/support'.

Andrew T.

roohbir

www.1and1.com

Andrew said:
What's that? You're toaster? A little googling failed to
find any '1and1' host. Care to share an URL?

Upload it to the correct place in the WEB-INF, generally.
Beyond that, the answer is probably 'consult 1and1 help/support'.

Andrew T.

Dag Sunde

I checked out their different "products", and had to guess that you use
"Hosting Developer".

To deploy a Java based web application, you need a host that offers support
for at least JSP (I.e. Tomcat), of a full J2EE application server like
JBoss.

From the chart of what their developer package includes, I could not see
any support for Java technoloy whatsoever... (Only Perl, Python and PHP).

But they *did* have 24/7 mail/phone support...

:)

Simon Brooke

roohbir said:
I have an html file that uses Ajax. The back end is a Servlet file.
Just wanted to know how I can upload the servlet to my website. I have
an account with 1and1. I want the servlet there. So what process should
I follow to do that.

Judging from their documentation, you can't, end of story. A Servlet must
be hosted in a Servlet engine, such as Tomcat or WebLogic. 1and1 do not
provide one, not even in their '1and1 Developer' premium offering.

This isn't unusual, unfortunately. Finding hosting providers who will host
Servlets isn't as easy as I would like it to be, although things are
better in the States than they are here in Europe.

roohbir

I had already contacted them before posting to this newsgroup. This is
what they had to say:
Thank you for contacting us.
I regret to inform that what you are asking us is beyond the scope of
our support .We cannot provide instructions for it because its a third
party application.However you may refer to online tutorials on google
such as the one on the link below:
http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/java/Servlet-Tutorial/

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Cheers
Roohbir

Dag Sunde

I had already contacted them before posting to this newsgroup. This is
what they had to say:
Thank you for contacting us.
I regret to inform that what you are asking us is beyond the scope of
our support .We cannot provide instructions for it because its a third
party application.However you may refer to online tutorials on google
such as the one on the link below:
http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/java/Servlet-Tutorial/

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact
us.

The essence of my post was really that it doesn't seem like 1and1 support
hosting of JSP/Servlets, and if you want server-side logic hosted on their
servers you'll have to use Perl, Python or PHP.