Session End Not Firing

Chad

On our servers we have noticed that sometimes sessions are not timing
out when they should. Often session will end around the timeout
specified, usually 15-20 minutes. This is not an issue with the timeout
specified. I have a aspx page that will list all the sessions and their
timeouts. So I am pretty confident it is not an issue with the timeout
value.
I must be something with IIS not releasing the sessions. The funny
thing is IIS will eventually release the sessions.
This issue affects our system in two ways.
1. Memory usage, not freeing sessions is surely forcing our servers to
use more memory than should be required.
2. Shopping cart preservation. We are saving a copy of the user's
shopping cart during the session_end event. If the event takes an extra
2 hours to happen then the cart will not be saved for an additional 2
hours. We would prefer the shopping carts to be saved as soon as
possible.