    how to make session not to time out (infinite life time)?
    if not possible how to increase the time out? for my application its timing
    out fairly very quick even though i have time out = 99999

    Nedu N, Feb 10, 2004

  2. I'm not sure you would want to do this. It would cause a relatively small
    number of users to fill up your available memory fairly rapidly.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 10, 2004

  3. Look in your machine config (Windows\.NET\machine.config) the timeout is normally set to 30 min

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?=, Feb 10, 2004
  4. Hi Nedu,

    Thanks for posting in the community!
    From your description, you're wanting to configure the Session State as
    never timeout,yes?

    Based my understanding, the Session State are all the serverside resources
    (memory or DataBase), since the web application is a multi-user service
    application and session state is every user based, it'll cause large
    exhaust and burden for the Application server. Therefore we should limit
    the session timeout to a proper value so that when use is no longer using
    the appliation, the server can stop the session and collect back the memory
    and resource as soon as possible.

    As for the Session State setting in ASP.NET, it can be configured via the
    <sessionState> element in both web.config or machine.config(machine level,
    for all the web apps on the certain machine).

    And as for the problem you mentioned that the session state will lose
    though you've set the Timeout value to a large value, I think it may caused
    by the asp.net appdomain or aspnet_wp.exe is recycled, here is the
    description in MSDN:
    When using the in-process session-state mode, session-state data is lost if
    aspnet_wp.exe or the application domain restarts. These restarts commonly
    occur in the following circumstances:

    ##Setting an attribute in the <processModel> element of the application's
    Web.config file that causes a new process to start when a condition is met,
    such as memoryLimit.

    ##The Global.asax or Web.config file is modified.

    ##Changes to the \Bin directory of the Web application.

    ##Antivirus software scans and modifies the Global.asax file, the
    Web.config file, or a file in the \Bin directory of the Web application.

    For more detailed info, you may view the following reference in MSDN:

    #Session State
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconSessionState.asp?f
    rame=true

    In addtion, here is another techarticles on ASP.NET performance counter,
    you may also have a look to see whether it helps.
    #Performance Counters for ASP.NET
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconPerformanceCounter
    sForASPNET.asp?frame=true

    Please check out the above items. If you have any quesitons on them, please
    feel free to let me know.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 11, 2004
  5. Hi Nedu,

    Have you had a chance to check out my suggestions or have you got any ideas
    on this issue? If you have any questions or need any assistance, please
    feel free to post here.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support