session variable problem

farooqazeem

Hi guys,

I’m facing some problem can u solve it.

Problem is:
I’m giving user Id and password in (Login_sess.asp) and submit it to page
(sess_test.asp). I am setting session variable (session(“Sinâ€)=â€Yesâ€) just
before redirecting to the same page, but in first time I do not received the
value of session variable when I redirect it, when I execute this process
second time or redirect it only with the page name (sess_test.asp) it
receives session value.

Can you tell me what’s the problem?
I’ve to receive session value in first time and have to redirect with
compete URL

Login_sess.asp (Page is)

<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<title>Login </title>
</head>
<h1 align=center>Login in Your Account </h1>
<BODY>
<form name=login method=post action=sess_test.asp >

id=submit name=submit>
&nbsp&nbsp <INPUT type="reset" value="Reset" id=reset name=reset >
</form></BODY></HTML>

Sess_test.asp (file is)
<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<%Response.Write "session Variable =" & Session("Sin")
if Request("txtUID") <> "" then
Session("Sin")="Yes"
Response.Redirect "http://localhost/sg/sess_test.asp"
'Response.Redirect "sess_tes.asp"
end if %>
</HTML>

regards,
farooq

Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) - MVP

Until you redirect, you cannot grab the session variable, as it is set in a
session (server) cookie and sent to the client. Once you do the
Response.Redirect, the cookie value is sent with the Request. Then, you can
get it.

I am not sure what you are trying to do architecturally, however. If you
want to check if a user is logged in (able to surf pages), create an include
..asp file with the

if not Session("Sin") = "Yes" then
'Redirect to login
End If

This forces every page to redirect to logon until user is logged in (or
every page with the include). Avoid this script on the login pages.

Hope this makes sense.

---

Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA